Open vs lap revision

darnell239
on 7/27/07 3:04 am - Columbia, SC
I talked with Dr. Overcash today about the Stomaphx procedure.  I told him that I had the Mini-gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago.  He told me that because of the type of surgery I had I should have another gastric by-pass revision.  He recommended that it would be better to have the revision as an open surgery that as a laparoscopic procedure.  My first surgery was laparascopic and I am nervous about an open procedure.  Do anybody out there have any experience or thoughts about this?  Please comment.
Donna M.
on 7/28/07 11:56 am - Cave Junction, OR
Often it's the surgeon's call and what he feels most comfortable doing in your particular situation.  I just went through a revision to RNY from an old VBG from 1990.  It was open.  After reviewing all the tests, my surgeon felt more comfortable doing an open procedure.  And, it was a good thing it did it that way, because there were a lot of unknown obstacles presented to him when he got in there....said it was the worse thing he's ever seen.  I had old staples everywhere.  So, you never know.  They are able to see what is really going on from opening you up.  Just my thought.  

faybay
on 7/28/07 8:56 pm - West Palm Beach, FL
I was happy to have my original surgery open.  I healed faster and better than most.  He probably wants open to make sure there are no adhesions and to really get a good look at surrounding areas.
zappre
on 8/17/07 6:29 am
I'm a VBG looking to revise to DS.  My surgeon is going to do it open and the more I think about it, the more I prefer it.  Revisions are more complex.  I want the doctor seeing everything in the full light of day.  I want every stitch seen by the doctor and everyone else there.  Just my preference, but I feel safer with an open revision.  Good luck.
Most Active