Revision, to have one or not?

Laura V.
on 7/24/07 9:55 pm - Chapel Hill, NC
Hi everyone!  Laura here and I need some help.  I had RNY August 2003 and lost 311 pounds, I needed to loss another 50 to reach my goal.  Rather I have gained 70 pounds over the last year.  I had a difficult situation in my life and was very depressed which is the main reason I gained the weight.  I am not sure if I should have a revision, financially it will be a struggle.  I think if I just go back to my pouch rules and regular exercise I will be fine.  But then on the other hand I think a revision is the answer.  I started at such a high weight and do not want to go back to that place.  Am I fooling myself by thinking I can do it alone, without the revision?  I would love any words of wisdom or to hear about anyone elses experiences.  Thank you so much to all my fellow OHer's!
Catherine F.
on 7/25/07 2:30 am - Greendale, WI
Hi Laura, I spoke with my Dr re: revision and self pay, if that's what you might be considering.  He told me revision surgeries are not done on a self pay basis. Only Insurance coverage.  Too many complications can come up and it can be quite costly. Please check this out with your Dr. I myself am debating whether to get the revision. I had a failed Lap Band. Must wait for 6 months for everything to heal first, then we'll talk. Let me know what you think You can post me personally at [email protected]
kelleykeith
on 7/25/07 5:09 am - New York, NY
Look at some of the posts here on non-invasive procedures such as StomaphyX or sclerotherapy which are revisions.  They can be cost effective depending on which procedure and who's doing it.
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 7/27/07 12:17 am - Bandera, TX
I too would look into the Stomaphyx.  It is a very promising option for the vast number of folks in your situation, being a WLS patient myself the fear of going back is overwhelming.  The procedure is done through an endoscope, so no surgery and virtually no recovery.  Cost and risk much much lower than standard revision. Go to endoscopic solutions website I think they have a list of docs, no there is one in Florida, NY, IL, AZ and TX. 
Most Active