I need recoomends for Mexican Dr.s (Not Rumbaut)

winniepooh2
on 7/17/07 11:26 am - Trail, Canada
Hi. I don't get on here very much, but I am trying to look into getting a revsion from my Lapband to RNY.  I have been sick since June 2005, and hope to get things fixed by the winter.  If I had known how awful the lapband complications can be I would have gone to mexico and gotten the RNY in the first place instead of paying for the lapband in canada... but you know what they say, if wishes were fishes I could fill an ocean full.  You always thing it will be someone else who is in the 2%. My problem is I am having a hard time locating a surgeon in Mexico and getting any reply from them.  I had a lot of recommendations for Monteray and Dr. Rumbaut, but when I made my inquires the staff that called me told me that he could not do a revision on me as it was to complicated a procedure and I would be better having the surgery closer to home.  After all the good I had heard of the doctor, I am wondering how qualified he is with problems and revision... mine are not complicated, except that I do have some adheasion (but really who doesn't when they have surgery?)  and I haven't lost much weight since my first surgery.  My frustration is I live in Canada and there is only one RNY doctor in my province and his waitlist is 2 to 5 years.  I have a consult with him in a few weeks, and I have waited 9 months for that. Going just south of the border to Spokanne or Post Falls is just too expensive, almost triple what Mexico and India cost.  My family can pay for the surgery, but there is only so much money available, and not enough for a US surgery.  My only out of country options are Mexico and India and I need to have someone who will do revisions.   So can anyone give me some recommendations??? C.
LindaU
on 7/17/07 11:07 pm - Aberdeen, MS

I know you're looking for something outside the US, but I did want to tell you about my surgeon/surgery. I had my mini-gastric bypass done by Dr. Cesare Pergaglie, who is now operating just outside Orlando, Florida, back in Nov 2006. One of the fastest growing percentages of his new patients are from failed lap bands. The package price is $17,000, whi*****ludes the surgeon's fees, anestheologists and hospital fees. This is the normal price for the Mini Gastric Bypass and they don't charge anything extra for removal of the lapband. The procedure is usually under an hour and you stay in the hospital usually one day. The MGB has very good, long term results with lower rates of complications than RNY. I'd be happy to answer any questions or you can check out www.clos.net for further information.  Good luck with your revision!!

sopralto
on 7/18/07 1:33 am - WA
Dr. Ungson does revisions. He is in Mexico though I am not sure which city and has a lot of skill with adhesions. My surgeon also does revisions, although he specializes in Duodenal Switches, he does RNYs too--he did an RNY after he finished doing DS on my daughter and myself.  He is very skilled. He is Dr. Marchesini in Curitiba Brazil.
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 7/18/07 6:05 am - Bandera, TX
Feel free to contact me and I can give you some info on Dr. in Mexico. stefanie@mylapbandcoach.com
(deactivated member)
on 7/19/07 8:42 pm - TX

Dr. Ungson also does revisions from lapband to DS.  I had a revision from RNY to DS with Dr. Husted/Rabkin but we went to Dr. U in Dec for just the switch part of the DS for my husband who wasn't obese but diabetic.

We have many revisions from lapbanders to DS and they love their DS.  Read my profile to find out why I didn't want my RNY fixed.

Come over to the DS board to learn all your options.  I love my DS!

levans
on 7/21/07 2:04 am - Fairfield, TX
I can't recommend a Dr. But I can tell you that my husband just had a RNY 7/02/07 in Mexicali, MX with Dr. Aceves and is still in a US hospital.....He had a leck, got pneumonia and a MRSA infection. The medicine/technology  there is nothing like the US. It was like stepping back 20 + years....If you get in trouble make sure the place has the support you will need. Good luck in your quest but BE CAREFUL!!!!!!  Lori Evans
debic
on 7/30/07 2:24 pm - Canada
Hi there, I am from BC as well, and I needed a revision. I went to a surgeon quite far from home, but he is very familiar with revisions and bypass/lapband complications. He came highly recommended to me, and his name is Dr. Adam Naaman and he is in Houston Texas. I can tell you that my revision cost me 20,000 with Dr. Naaman. It sounds like a lot, and yes Mexico is cheaper, however I'll share with you that my original surgery Fobi Pouch RNY was done in Mexico by Dr. Rumbaut and after all is said and done - I paid about the same as I would have if I went to Dr. Naaman in the first place.  Airfare, hotels, tips, after all totalled, it added up to about the same.  Dr. Naaman would take excellent care of you - and he operates out of Memorial Herman Hospital in Houston. A top knotch facility where I had the best care, by a surgeon familiar with these sorts of procedures. Feel free to contact me any time if you have any further questions.  Deb
debic
on 7/30/07 2:28 pm - Canada
There is also a doctor in of all places Las Vegas who does the Mini Gastric Bypass and a lot of his clients are revisions from Lap Band. I found him on youtube actually as he advertises there.  Dr. Rutledge is his name www.clos.net Deb
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/19/07 2:53 am - Tuvalu
I would avoid a mini GBP until the ASBS and more surgeons come to agreement about whether it is a really good choice. Sue
Most Active