Is Revision Pain any Different?

AnninTX
on 7/15/07 4:47 am - Dallas, TX
I had my original RNY surgery early in 2003 and am having a revision at the end of the month.  Is the pain better or worse?  I am concerned because the surgeon is doing laproscopic RNY but said he will have to go in through my original incision.  It is very long (7.5 inches) and keloid.  I am eager for a smaller opening and smaller pouch and the opportunity to get my weight under 200lbs.  I am not looking forward to the pain once I leave the hospital. Ann 423 Original (Mar 2003) 270 Lowest   2005 350 Now       2007
FloNightengale
on 7/16/07 8:11 am
 I had a revision on July 3. It was open because  my original surgery was open. That is why I am wondering why this isn't open as well. Anyway I did well and had surgery on Tuesday and home Friday. Was on a pain pump for 2 days and the on oral pain meds...didn't really use the pump much..I was up walking about 6 hours after surgery and my incision looks good. No drainage tube from my incision. My doctor questioned whether I had a revision?...he did it..ha ha..he has kinda dry humor but I love him and trust him. I lost 100 lbs with my first surgery and kept it off and now I am 13 days post op and have lost 22 1/5 lbs..WOW..hard to believe..I am only 40 lbs away from a weight that I can recall being at in my 20's..amazing..my plan is to loose about 120 lbs which will put me below goal but gives me room for a few lbs up..I had no staples just steri strips this time and my scar is smaller than the former was..I am getting used to feeling full and measuring my food..I am feeling good but kinda run out of energy in the evening..need to rest more since I am only 2 weeks out..Hope all goes well for you...Linda
AnninTX
on 7/26/07 1:18 pm - Dallas, TX
Thank you so very much for sharing.  I wish you well.
 Ann in TX
Starting 423/Current 320/Goal 190             
Loss since 7/30/7 revision= 36 lbs released

Defeat is simply a signal to press onward.

Helen Keller 
Amyiable
on 7/17/07 9:08 pm
I was lucky as I didn't have pain from my original or revision surgeries.  In both cases, the surgeon requested an epidural be inserted prior to surgery, which then was started after the surgery.  Basically, I was numb for a few days in the hospital.  After that, I only used percosets.  Both of my surgeries were open.   You can usually get a good indicator from those who have already had surgery by your doctor.  Pain management is important to me ... I like to grill the doctor about it, the anesthesiologist & all staff before I am knocked out.  Good luck.
Most Active