Laproscopic revision

nurse4018
on 7/14/07 3:34 am - Sylacauga, AL
Hello all, Just need to know if revisions can be performed laproscopically? I had a VBG about 10 years ago, and would like a revision to a DS or RNY. I would prefer a laproscopic surgery.  Much less pain and quicker recovery. I went to a WLS seminar and the surgeon said that all his revisions were open. Is this the only option for revisions? Please help !!!
Molly O.
on 7/14/07 7:54 am, edited 7/14/07 7:54 am - Oakland, TN
Hey, The limited information I found is that most surgeons will  attempt the Lap and if there is too much scar tissue or other problems they would then do open. Hope this helps...
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/07 11:25 am - TX
I know if you revise to the DS most surgeons will do it open.  It's the most difficult and complex surgery of them all.........figures it would be the hardest, it's the best!
queendeneen
on 7/16/07 5:48 am - LOUISVILLE, KY
I just had a revision from RNY to lap band and they did it laporoscopically.  I was out of the hospital the next day.   I feel great.  It's been almost three weeks.  I've lost 21 lbs, mostly from the 2.5 week liquid diet, and I'm back to work today.   Good luck on whatever surgery you choose....... Deneen
What you believe, you can achieve!!

nurse4018
on 7/16/07 7:09 am - Sylacauga, AL
Thanks so much for the information. I visited Dr. Gellar's website and I read where he is one of only a very few surgeons who perform lap revisions. Did he "undo" your RNY or did he just add the lapband and keep your RNY intact? I am definetely contacting his office.  Thanks again and best of luck with your revision
queendeneen
on 7/17/07 12:33 am - LOUISVILLE, KY
First he did an endoscopy to see if my stomach was big enough to place the band.  When he went in to do the surgery, there was some scar tissue from the RNY.  He didn't undo the RNY, I don't think that's possible.  He cut away some of the scar tissue and placed the large band around my stomach.  He said it was relatively easy and only took about an hour. 
What you believe, you can achieve!!

BBoop
on 7/16/07 3:58 pm
I was told it can be done Lap but I imagine there is a good possibility it will be open if there are adhesions when they get in there. Betty
~~Sami~~ *.
on 7/17/07 11:04 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Honestly, most surgeons don't know until they attempt the revision.  If you go to a lap surgeon who is skilled with revisions, then I'd think your chances are better for it to remain lap.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active