VBG revision...any suggestions?

SunshineDeb722
on 6/30/07 8:53 am - Houston, TX
I had vertical gastric banding in 2005 and I have gained almost all my weight back.  Depression is not the half of it.  I am going to have a revision but I can't decide which I would like.  I am leaning toward the sleeve but need more information.  If there is anyone out there that would like to share, I would really appreciate it! Deborah
Donna M.
on 6/30/07 11:39 am - Cave Junction, OR
Deborah, I had a vertical silicone gastric surgery 17 years ago, much like the VBG that was done in the 80s and 90s, and will be having a revision surgery to the RNY on July 13th.  At least you lost weight initially, I never did.  I've done a lot of studying about the RNY, and feel that is the best procedure for me.  Isn't the sleeve just a basic gastrectomy without any malabsorption procedure?  It seems to me that would eventually cause a weight gain again.   My suggestiont to you is to really study all of the procedures out there and make sure you find the one you can live with.  Good luck to you.  I'll let you know how my procedure goes. Donna M. in Oregon 

Nunyo B.
on 6/30/07 11:48 am
Hello Deborah, I had the Silastic Ring Vertical Gastroplasty (SRVG) back in 1997 and initially lost about 105lbs, but then slowly started gaining the weight bac****il I now weigh more than I did when I first had surgery!  I am scheduled for a revision to the Duodenal Switch on Oct. 3rd. The sleeve is part of the duodenal switch in which they staple of a portion of the stomach and then remove the larger part.  This is portion by itself is merely a restrictive procedure, and while a large part of the stomach is removed, the part that is left will eventually stretch back out.  If you not diligent in your diet you may find yourself right back to where you started.  The great thing about the DS is the also the malabsorptive part where the intestines are re-routed so you have a much larger malabsorptive component, so not only do you have the restrictive component of the sleeve but you also have the added benefit of the malabsorption part.  The DS has a greater percentage of weight loss and a higher percentage of keeping the weight off in the long term than any other surgery.  Also with the DS you keep all parts of the original stomach (pylorus remains intact) and you can still take NSAIDS.  If you would like more info on revisions to the DS please check out the DS forum, and also www.duodenalswitch.com.  As the previous poster said, you should do research on all methods, the pros and cons of each, evaluate your lifestyle and then pick the procedure that is best for you. Good luck in your journey!
SunshineDeb722
on 7/1/07 12:02 pm - Houston, TX
Thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply.  I am so up in the air about what to do since I was not successful with the first surgery.  All surgeries have their positives and minuses and I keep going back and forth on each of them.  I wish I had a glass ball to tell me what will work for me.  Well, I will continue to research.  Again, thanks for your help!
hfa1407
on 7/3/07 3:13 pm
Check out the CLOS web site.  www.CLOS.net  to check out the Mini Gastric Bypass.  You can check out the u tube videos that have several people who had lap band revised to MGB.  I am having the surgery in Las Vegas in August.
SunshineDeb722
on 7/4/07 11:22 am - Houston, TX
Thank you so much for giving me another option to check out.  Much luck to you on your upcoming surgery.  I am sure you will do well. God Bless, Deborah
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/07 11:36 pm - TX

I didn't have the VGB but did have the RNY in 94.  Lost 130 lbs.  With staple line disruption in 96, I regained every lb and more.  Revised to the DS in Aug 2006 and am very happy with my revision.  As far as I'm (underscore I'm) concerned the DS is the best way to ensure that the weight won't come back, as there is nothing to mechanically fail.   I'm not talking about complications immediately post surgery, any surgery can have those.  I'm talking about no stoma to enlarge or staple line to disrupt. 

I know well the depression you're going through.  I went 10 years before my revision, on anti depressants daily.  I stopped taking them in March 07 because I just no longer am depressed.  My back doesn't hurt anymore and I have an active, full life now.

Best of luck to you.

neisha =.
on 7/12/07 10:56 am - shawnee, OK
Hi Deborah,  I feel your pain with the VGB  what a waste of money and effort!  I had it done in 1997, only lost about 50 lbs and gained all of it back plus some!  Man, that really makes you feel like a failure when surgery doesn't even work!  But after researching it, over 90 % of all VGB's gain all of their weight back within a 10 year or less span.  Don't beat yourself up too bad.  Like me, you probably thought you were choosing the healthiest option.  My surgeon kept telling me "you shouldn't eat those things"  and my response to him was, "  that is why I had this surgey to keep me from it!  If I could have kept from it on my own I would have never had the surgery in the 1st place!"  There just weren't enough negative consequences to make me change my habits!  I REALLY need that negative reinforcement of getting sick if I don't stay on track.  So.........................................................once again insurance would pay so I did my research and went to Mexico with a wonderful surgeon there.  I had the RNY.  I know people will talk about the Duodendal Switch but to me that was a little too scary.  There is so much malabsorbtion with it and I didn't want to live a life on a solid diet of vitamins and having iron transfusions ( i'm getting a little extreme, but some do go through this).  The sleeve didn't seem to me like it would do a whole lot more that the VGB.  It is all really a personal choice and you just have to do your homework. I am 3 weeks post-op today.  I am down 26 pounds and have been doing fabulous!  No one can believe I just had major surgery.  Because of the VGB, this surgery had to be done open also. I hope you can find some peace with your decision.  Go to the sleeve sight and research it more. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance. Neisha
SunshineDeb722
on 7/12/07 1:35 pm - Houston, TX

Thank you so much for validating everything I feel....it is so good to know I am not the only one out here.   I am soooooo very proud for your success.  I too feel that the sleeve is more of what we have already experienced and I feel the same about the DS.  Right now I am planning to do the lap band and set my date for surgery today.  My pre-op is set for June 17th and surgery on June 23rd.  I pray that this is the answer for me as RNY has been for you.  Thank you again for your response.  You don't know how much that helps!  Keep in touch so I can keep up with your continued success. God Bless, Deborah

Most Active