Just don't know what to do.....Need Advice!

hopper116
on 6/30/07 12:56 am - Murphy, NC
Hi All,  I've posted before on here w/ some revision questions, but I am hoping to get some more advice.  I am in desparate need of revision surgery from a 20 yr old procedure that gives me lots of complications.  My husband just had the DS this past week, and if I'm going to go through revision surgery, that is the procedure I would like.  However, the area that I am in only has surgeons that do revisions to RNY, not DS.  Even the docs that do DS say they won't do a revision DS.  Anyway, I will have to research and travel I suppose if I want a DS.  I just don't understand how I can do it if I have to travel.  Has anyone had experience with this?  It's either settle for a procedure I don't really want or travel far from home.  I just don't know....... Any thoughts? Stephanie
Paula Chapman
on 7/1/07 10:06 am - Midvale, UT
Hi Stephanie, I had surgery about 20 years ago also.  The old stomach staple.  I am trying to get a revision to a DS.  I feel very fortunate to have found a surgeon who will help me.  I am in Utah and trying to get insurance approval for the revision.  The surgeon, Dr. Simper, did an endoscopy on me and said from the looks of the old surgery he thought he could help me.  Dr.  Simper is very experienced in r n y surgery, and has done several DS surgeries.  The revisional process is rather new, and I know Dr. Simper has done a few, but not many.  He also made it very clear to me that his plans going in would be for a DS, but no surgeon can tell you the amount of scarring or adhesions you have going on from the the old surgery.  So he will do what he can and might have to make it a two part surgery.  I did not want to travel for surgery either.  I know that there are very few surgeons that want to take on a revision.  Finding Dr. Simper was an answer to a prayer for me.  But I thought you might like to know that your search is not hopeless.  Perhaps if you go in and see one of the surgeons in your area maybe with more tests, they may be inclined to re look at your case.  I wish you good luck and best of health.  If you want to come to Utah, I would be happy to help you in your arrangements! Paula
KRWaters
on 7/2/07 3:58 am - Manteca, CA
Hi Paula, there are several bariatric surgeons in California who do revisions. One, Drs. Husted, Cirangle, and Jossart do, but do charge an over and above fee like $4,000 at SF Laparoscopic and Associates. I just called Dr. Feng's office  this morning in San Mateo (near SF) and he used to be with SF Laparoscopic & Assoc. I am hoping he takes Medicare and surely don't want the extra out of pocket costs, but he is within a couple of hours drive from me and he also has an office in Lodi, California, which is even better for me, only 1/2 hour drive.  There is a Dr. Keshishian in Delano, California, who I had chosen for myself cause of his expertise, but found out he charges $4,000 for revisions too.  So I am continuing my search. Good luck in your journey.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

KRWaters
on 7/2/07 4:01 am - Manteca, CA
Yes Stephanie, many people have done the travel routine for their WLS. I am considering it myself if the local doc in California within driving distance for me doesn't take medicare and/or charges an over and above fee that medicare won't  pay for. Dr. Margaret Inman in Indiana I am told takes Medicare and is very good. What about those doctors in NY? Too far for you? Check out this website to get a list of reputable docs if you haven't already done so.  www.duodenalswitch.com. 

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active