Stomaphyx New York

Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 7/25/07 9:12 am - Bandera, TX
Seems like there are a few insurance companies that are paying but likely most are not.  Seems like this was the same with Lapbands and some of that is getting better.  There is a surgeon in Texas that is doing this procedure and there are only a limited number of surgeons that are trained to do this.  check out his website if you like   www.brazosbariatric.com .
jonathan R.
on 7/25/07 11:24 am - east meadow, ny
I checked his website and he is a lapband surgeon.  The stomaphyx is for gastric bypass patients mainly.  It doesn't make sense that he would be doing this procedure.  I think it would best be done by a surgeon who does lots of gastric bypass procedures.
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 7/25/07 1:19 pm - Bandera, TX
He has been doing bypass surgeries for longer than he has been performing Lapbands, and he was just trained to do the Stomaphyx.  He is in the process of updating his website, and as a nurse I have assisted him with both the surgeries and he is a fabulous surgeon.  Even sent my mother to him for gallbladder removal.  And yes I agree that it makes sense that surgeons performing this procedure be very competent at the bypass, and that is why they are very selective at this point as to who they train for this procedure. 
jonathan R.
on 7/27/07 12:22 am - east meadow, ny
I had the stomaphyx procedure by Dr. Shawn Garber in NY www.stopobesityforlife.com about 8 days ago and already lost 9 pounds the first week.  I feel like I just had the gastric bypass again and need to remind myself to eat.  It is awesome and I recommend it highly.
mariposah
on 7/27/07 12:47 am
Jonathan, was it hard for your insurance to cover it?
jonathan R.
on 7/27/07 1:02 am - east meadow, ny
My surgeon's office got the approval and I was approved on the first try.  it was easy.
mariposah
on 7/27/07 1:06 am

Hope I don't sound like I'm beating you over the head with this insurance thing, but would you happen to know the criteria for insurance to cover it?  (some insurances or covering it - some or not)

jonathan R.
on 7/27/07 3:02 am - east meadow, ny
I have no idea of the criteria, all I know is Dr. Garber's office got it covered without a problem.
mariposah
on 7/27/07 3:09 am
Cool - well thanks, Jonathan.  It's so wonderful that this type of procedure is given to us long term post ops to restore our pouches again.  This time, I WILL NOT ABUSE IT.  I'm gonna take care of it and do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get to goal!  Thanks!~
jonathan R.
on 7/27/07 3:38 am - east meadow, ny
I agree!!! That is my attitude as well.  I am going to use my tool to its' fullest extent and thankful I was given another chance.
Most Active