Stomaphyx New York

stacy B.
on 6/29/07 4:05 am - Wantagh, NY
I met with Dr. Shawn Garber in New York yesterday for the Stomaphyx procedure.  It sounded really good.  The procedure done completely endoscopically with no incisions and no recovery.  The device shrinks the stomach pouch to ehlp you feel full quicker again.  I scheduled the procedure in a few weeks and my insurance company approved.  Anyone else have this procedure yet?  Dr. Garber is the only surgeon in the entire Northeast of the US doing this procedure and he was really nice.
KRWaters
on 6/29/07 5:27 am - Manteca, CA
So insurance will pay for the whole thing? Someone else said they had to pay $8,000 I thought they said and that insurance does not cover it?

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

stacy B.
on 6/29/07 3:20 pm - Wantagh, NY
I was told that some insurances have covered it completely and some have not
darnell239
on 6/29/07 7:53 am - Columbia, SC
Stacy,  Thanks for sharing with us and please keep us updated.  Can you provide more information on Dr. Garber (contact info).  Also, I thought there was a Dr. Thomas in Boston, MA who was doing a similiar procedure
stacy B.
on 6/29/07 3:22 pm - Wantagh, NY
It is Dr. Shawn Garber at 516-616-5500 and his email is [email protected] and website is www.stopobesityforlife.com  The guy in Boston does a different procedure that doesn't shrink the pouch only the connection.  I checked with Stomaphyx and Dr. Garber is only surgeon on Northeast doing this.
kelleykeith
on 6/29/07 1:51 pm - New York, NY
Stacy: May I ask who your insurance company is in NY?  I'm with Oxford and they told me today my request for revision/Stomaphyx  with Dr. Garber would have to go before their Medical Review Board.  This would not seem out of line to me.  Oxford paid for my original surgery 5 yrs. ago with no problem. Kelley
stacy B.
on 6/29/07 3:23 pm - Wantagh, NY
Dr. Garber said that has had about 50-75% of the insurance compnaies cover the procedure.
Con Con
on 6/30/07 12:58 am - Coastal, MS
Does it shrink the stomach and the stoma? Or just the pouch? If your stoma is stretched, then shrinking the pouch will not help at all... It will still empty very quickly and you will get hungry...
stacy B.
on 6/30/07 1:54 am - Wantagh, NY
It shrinks both the stomach pouch and the stoma and slows down the passatge fo food through the stomach.  The initial studies have shown weight loss after the procedure.
jodischapiro
on 7/20/07 11:01 pm - pembroke pines, FL
I have been researching this new procedure, in s. florida. There is one surgeon performing it in the Ocala area. His office told me that the first several procedures he did, were completely convered by Aetna and a few other insurance companies. After those however, every case he has submittied for insurance coverage, has been denied. This sadly does not surpirse me since it is in its inception, and there are no codes to present. I'm sure it will be a matter of time and it will be covered, at least that is what i am hoping for.
Most Active