Thinking of revision...Is worth it???....

jboogie4166
on 6/29/07 2:05 am
I will be 7 years post op this October....I lost a total of 171lbs. down from 376lbs via Open Roux-ny....Went from a size 32 to a perfect size 16....Once I got to a 16 I just stopped loosing....I changed my way of eating and did exercise but I do admit I did not do it as often as I should have and I was never able to give up chocolate....I just delt with the dumping...lol....Around the end of 05, begining of 06 my mother took ill to the point she had to give up her apartment and move in with me and my sister....I was her caretaker until she passed away last July....I noticed that before she passed I started gaining weight so I know that her illness was a major contibution to my weight regain....I have gained about 45lbs. and my BMI has gone up to 44 so I am a candidate....I've tried to loose the weight on my own and just as before it's a battle that I don't seem to be able to win and that's why I'm thinking of having the surgery again....This time I think I would like to do the Lap Band....What do you guys think???....    
KRWaters
on 6/29/07 4:35 am - Manteca, CA
I,too, gained weight after 2.5 years. My local bariatric surgeon suggested to have a lapband this time from the Roux-n-y. I researched it, but decided if I am going to do it again, I want the DS. Better chance of keeping it off. Lapband and Roux-N-Y doesn't have the success rate as a DS. I am in the process of finding a DS doc who won't charge me extra over and above what Medicare pays. If I were you, I would check out the DS forum, along with the lapband forum and you decide what is best for yourself.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

queendeneen
on 7/3/07 2:39 am - LOUISVILLE, KY
I just had a revision (6 days ago) from the RNY (5 yrs ago) to the lap band.  I feel fortunate to have this 2nd chance.  My stats sound alot like yours and I had no trouble getting it approved.   I'd say GO FOR IT!!!!  The only thing you have to lose it weight!!!    Good luck!!!  Queen Deneen
What you believe, you can achieve!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/07 11:46 pm - TX

Read my profile to see why I had the revision to the DS.  Then make sure you read very carefully about how many problems/regain people have with the lapband.  I simply did not want another surgery that could mechanically fail me.

Read on the DS board and look closely for posts from people who don't like their DS.  They will be few and far between.

Each of us has to do our research, doubly so if you're a revision as this could likely be your last chance at living a normal life free from obesity.

Best of luck to you.

debrat262
on 7/6/07 2:03 am - Los Angeles, CA
My first surgery was the lapband, and I was very successful.  I was happy with the band and I reach goal, however my band eroded after 2 1/2 years.  I chose the VSG because I could not face a third surgery (really fourth if you count the band removal) if the second band eroded.  Had I to do it over again, I probably wouldn't have gotten the band, but that's just me.  Lots of people do not have any band complications.  But most bandsters have some foods they can't tolerate (bread, pasta, rice, ect.). I've heard a lot of good things about the DS procedure.  Make sure you check out this forum in addition to the lapband forum. Debra

Lapband 5/21/04; Eroded Band Removed 11/18/06; VSG 1/06/07

Most Active