Need a Revision from 20 yr old surgery......where to begin?

hopper116
on 6/22/07 12:58 pm - Murphy, NC
Hi All,  I posted this question on the main forum and was encourged to come over to the revision forum, so here I am! I am in desperate need of help/advice!  My husband is having a DS on Tuesday (June 26th), and since we've been working so hard on his DS, I've been thinking that I should pursue a revision.  When I was 15 (now 35) I had a bariatric surgery, but I don't know any details.  The surgery involved "mesh", it was an open procedure, and I have a huge scar.  I lost 100lbs at the time, but have gained it all back, plus more.  Here's the kicker, I still have lots of complications.  I throw up frequently if I don't chew my food well enough or if I'm not careful eating meat.  The surgeon from 20 yrs ago is nowhere to be found and the hospital has no records since they're so old.   What should I do?  When I was pregnant with my son a couple of yrs ago, it really caused me a lot of complications (trouble getting food down).  I would LOVE to have the DS, but I really just don't know where to begin.  Is there a list somewhere that shows which Dr.'s do revisions?  I just need some advice on where I should begin.  My husband's surgeon said the closest one he new of was in NY and we live in NC.  Are there no revision docs in the south?  ANY advice and guidance would be appreciated! Thanks! Stephanie
Proud Military Mom
on 6/22/07 4:14 pm - Reno, NV
I really dont know what to tell you other than start calling surgeons.. you can get a list via OH's site .. When I had my original surgery I was on Medicaid.. I got on the phone and started calling surgeons ... ask to speak with the anyone that will listen to your story..  You never know.. don't get discouraged... just keep calling.. Good luck to you.. Debby

If you can't stand behind the troops... stand in front of them... PLEASE!

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/07 10:40 pm, edited 6/22/07 10:40 pm - TX

Hi Stephanie, because you have no idea or any records of your previous surgery,  you need to consult one of the really BIG GUNS.  Husted, Keshishkan, Rabkin, Alverdy, Schweitzer, Gagner are a few who come to mind.

Go to http://www.duodenalswitch.com/surgeons/surgeons.html and start calling.

good luck honey. 

PS edited to add this link takes you to the most comprehensive up to date listing of DS surgeons *****ally do the DS.  A lot of surgeons on here "claim" they do the DS but way too often people come back with stories of how they tried to "bait and don't switch"

Also come over to the DS forum and ask anything you want to know.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS

Queena
on 6/26/07 11:12 am - IL
I would contact Dr. Alverdy. He did my orignal surgery when I was 17 (32 now), your story sounds like mine. He is going to preform a revision on me soon. He's a good Dr. Good luck.
Pamela A.
on 7/7/07 3:20 am, edited 7/7/07 3:20 am - Claremore, OK
Go to asbs.org then click on "Patients" and then "Member Search" and you can find surgeons who do revisions by zip code, state or city.  I'm having a revision from VBG (done in 1983) to RNY next month.

Pam

Most Active