Advice?? Endoscopic Schelerotherapy 6/26

sandyfeets
on 6/11/07 11:55 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
Here I am. 18 months post-op and down 100 lbs. However my surgeon and I feel that I could lose another 40-80 lbs. AT LEAST 40. That is my goal---how to get there at this point?The doc and I discussed what might have happened physiologically. Was it a fistua between the pouch and remanant stomach? Or a stretched stoma? Metabolism/body figured out HOW to compansate for less nutrition? All kinds of questions and some answers. So several options were begun. Barium test--NO Fistula !! Great news, since that is only repaired surgically--and I am NOT going back that route. So that led to an appt. with a GI doctor. That was today. We talked, looked at diagrams, discussed why my weight loss has "hit the wall." Anyway, we scheduled the Endo Schelerotherapy for later this month. Discussed all the pros/cons and projected out comes. He has done 12 (yeah 12--low number but this seems to be new--somebody has to be at the beginning) of them with patients losing anywhere from ZERO to 35 Lbs. There are risks---the worst being the acid can break down the tissue leading to a trip to the OR then and there. Soooooo any advice from ANYONE that has had this done??? I'll be sure to post after this is done, so that others looking into this can gather infromation. Thannks to other posters----I've been reading yours......and what is happening. Thanks for letting us take a peek.

mycoyoteridge
on 6/20/07 2:27 pm - AZ
Hi  there,  I am new to this website and am in the process of checking our revision myself. I am five years out of an open RNY and have not yet reached my goal.  I have actually put back on pounds I lost with my initial surgery.  The procedure you are going to have done was recommended as a possibility to me so I did a little checking,  and found that the odds of it being successful in closing the stoma are not very high.  I also had someone tell  me that the procedure, at one time, had not been approved by the FDA.  I would imagine, since you are having it done, that the issue with the FDA has probably been resolved.  I want success for you.  I know it is expensive and since I am looking at having to pay for whichever revision I have done, I want to go with one that I believe has a better track record.   Because we are all different and have different cir****tances going into a revision, we have to do what fits our needs the best.  I would be thrilled if that procedure had more positive results because I can't afford to do more than one thing if that doesn't succeed.   Please let us know how it goes for you.  I am interested.  Best wishes to you.
Most Active