sclero update #2

deeno
on 6/11/07 2:15 am - Kokomo, IN

Hi all Just a quick follow-up on my procedure.  I definately without a dobut feel restriction, and I'm still retraining my brain to know when to stop eating.  It feels just like many people described their original RNY--can't eat, don't want to eat, don't look forward to eating, certain foods are OK while others are a "no go".  I have to carefully chew everything, and I have to really think about my food choices.  Funny, they told me all of that at the doctor's office, but it really didn't start hitting me until about a week ago. I went camping over the weekend, so my food choices were limited--not necessarily a good thing.  I went out for breakfast and got a Denver omlete with hash browns and toast.  I could only eat 6 bites of the omlete, and that was pushing it.  I was sharing the breakfast with my 16 month old, too.  We had leftovers of the same breakfast the next day, and I was able to tolerate more of it then, but not much.  I tried to eat the toast later that afternoon, but it came back up.  I unfortuneately found that Pringles potato crisps stayed down just fine....but I could only eat a small amount (thank goodness for that!).  And, truth be told, oreo cookies went down easy, too.  I will not be buying those again as they were way too easy.  I did make some smart choices, too.  I did eat a slim fast bar with 8 grams of protein in it, and I plan on getting more of those.  I've always gagged on protein bars and drinks.  Speaking of drinks, I am drinking only non carbonated SF drinks ****d tea, water, crystal light), and I must sip sip sip all day long--no gulping.  I'm not "follwing the rules because THEY told me.  I'm following the rules because my stomach won't let me do anything else!".  Yeah, I'd say the sclero is doing what it is supposed to be doing. I don't really feel full, but I do feel significant discomfort at times, and that's all I need to feel to stop eating.  Maybe that is what full feels like.  This is just what I had expected to feel.  My husband (5 years post RNY) is finding a lot of humor in my new experiences.  He still has a small stoma and probably needs to relieve the food pressure by vomiting at least 2-5 times a week.  I have spoken to him many times about overeating and poor choices, and his response has always been "well, at least my tool still works".  Now he jokes with me that my tool is finally working.  I even heard him tell a friend of his that it is as if I just had bariatric surgery (this isn't entirely true i how I feel--I would say I feel like I should have felt maybe 2 months post RNY based on being able to eat and tolerate some denser foods). That pound I lost stayed off, and a buddy joined him.  I'm pleased about that, and hope the trend continues.  The doc said 1-2 pounds a week, slow and steady.  So, I'm doing OK in the weight loss arena.  Not fantastic, just OK, and I'm OK with that, especially with my history of being a slow loser.

I'll update again when I can.  Good, bad, or otherwise.  Am I glad I tried this?  I think so, so far.  I don't think I can honestly answer that question for another couple of months.  But, so far so good.

Deeno

darnell239
on 6/11/07 2:46 am - Columbia, SC
Deeno, Thanks again for sharing.  I am monitoring your progress also, because if the result continue to be good for you I want to see about having the procedure.
Trudy O.
on 6/11/07 3:16 am - TN
Hi Deeno,  Your information has been very helpful.  I was kinda in your same situation, light heavy weight and I'm tall.  I originally lost 40lbs, but never had the feeling of fullness.  I had a EGD a couple of weeks ago to see if I qualify for a research study for sclerotherapy.  They said that my stoma was definatley too large (I already knew this because of a barium swallow I had last year that said I didn't not retain any barium).  Also on the EGD they said that my stomach is too small to qualify for the research study.  Something about the equipment they needed to use would not fit in my pouch.  Do you know anything about what size your pouch was?  It seems like it would be easy to fix, small pouch, stoma too large, but noone here seems to want to help.  My main issue other than my weight is that I get severe pains from dumping no matter what I eat. Thanks again for speaking out.  I now know I'm not the only one.
deeno
on 6/11/07 3:50 am - Kokomo, IN
Hi there As far as my stomach/pouch size is concerned, my hubby said that Dr. Baker said it was a good size meaning not too big or too small.  Just good for the procedure I guess.  My guess is that I never stretched my pouch--that's what it feels like to me anyhow.  When I follow-up with Dr. Baker in a few weeks I'll ask him if he measured my pouch size. As far as dumping is concerned, prior to sclerotherapy I rarely dumped.  Ice cream made me dump, and a few other sweets (in large quantities) would, too.  Once in a while I'd get a random dumping feeling from who knows where, but all in all I didn't really dump much at all.  Post sclero therapy I have not "dumped"--I haven't pushed the sugar issue other than the oreos, but I still didn't eat very many....but when you're trying to lose weight, how many is too many, you know?  I have vomited several times immediately after eating.  Sometimes I can eat more, and it stays down no problem at all.  Other times, like today I ate about a half of a lean cuisene--the meat part, no rice--and only half of that stayed with me---and I chewed and chewed, too!  I don't feel hungry now, either, so I'm happy about that, but I really want to make sure to get enough protein in, too. Ask the doc if they can stretch your pouch.  I mean, after all, we stretch our own pouches when we eat, so why couldn't they do it mechanically?  Kinda like a shoe-horn for your stomach! Good luck, and I'll keep posting. Deeno
Cheryl J.
on 6/12/07 6:28 am

Hi Deeno, I don't know if you realize how encouraging you are!  So many of us are looking for ways to get back that restriction again, and unfortunately not a candidate for a revision.  I just want to thank you for posting your experiences. I look forward to logging on and reading your updates.  Thanks for being honest, and talking about the itty bitty details.  I am looking forward to my appt. this Thursday to see what procedure I will qualify for.  I also found a Dr. in New York that is in training for the Stomaphyx procedure this month. I have appt. with them on June 28th. The only thing they told me to do was to bring my medical records from the previous weight loss surgeon. I hope I wont have a problem with that.  I also pray they will not send me to the door because my BMI isnt 40. I kept asking the girl if there is a criteria for the "new " procedure. She just said for me to bring my medical records. Well again thanks for sharing Deeno! Cheryl

kelleykeith
on 6/12/07 7:53 am - New York, NY
Cheryl: Your posts are very helpful as well. and I look forward to hearing how your appointment went this Thursday.  At this point, I've decided that if there's no one in NYC who can do the Stomaphyx procedure this summer then I will make an appointment with Dr. Baker  in MI.  I'm having the endoscopy and scans next week at Lenox Hill. I'll get the doc's input on the size of my stoma.  He knew nothing about Stomaphyx or any other sclerotherapy when I asked for info. (which kind of surprised me.)  Kelley
Cheryl J.
on 6/12/07 10:13 am
Hi Kelley, Check out Dr. Bessler at NY Presbyterian. His information is on my other post. I belive it is titled Doctors Info who are performing these kinds of procedures.  Also, I will let you know what happens with the other Dr. that is doing the Stomaphyx procedure. Don't be surprised with the Drs that don't know about it. I say this because the studies are still fairly new.  Watch..in about 2 to 3 years everyone will be doing it!  Only Mt. Sinai & NY Presbyterian are doing these studies in NY.  I too, like deeno, will keep everyone up to date as to what will be happening with me. I am so sick if diets..its driving me crazy!  Especially since I had lost so much weight from the surgery and kept it off for 3 years! Ugh..I just hope I get a second chance at this. You know what I mean. Cheryl
KRWaters
on 6/13/07 9:19 am - Manteca, CA
It would seem you would do well with the sclerotherapy, but what if it didn't work for someone, if they didn't lose as much weight as they needed, could they then get a revision at that point?  Just curious.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

darnell239
on 6/17/07 2:48 am - Columbia, SC
Deeno, I wanted to touch base again.  How much weight have you lost so far?  Are you still in any pain?  Please let us know.
Most Active