Los Angeles Docs Revision RNY to DS

s_levy
on 6/6/07 6:12 am - Santa Clarita Valley, CA
I had Open RNY in 2001 at weight of 247 now I am lingering up and down between 192 and 200 at 5'5 height. I would like a revision to the DS procedure. I have had a tummy tuck and would like to ave it done LAP . I have Cigna HealthCare and revisions are covered under mu plan.
Nunyo B.
on 6/11/07 7:04 am
hello -  I, too, have CIGNA and was just approved for revision surgery.  I had the SRVG back in 1997, which has since failed, and am now going for the DS.  Depending on your plan, CIGNA will probably deny the DS citing is "investigational/experimental" and you will have to prove medical necessity for a revision.  If they approve you for a revision be prepared to fight tooth and nail for the DS.  You will have supply a lot of information proving the DS is not investigational/experimental and will probably need to go all the way to an external appeal process, which is what I just finished.  But, I'm living proof that if you stick to your guns and don't give up, you can win!  If you need any information or help, please let me know. Take care and good luck!
s_levy
on 6/12/07 12:11 pm - Santa Clarita Valley, CA
Found Dr. Quilici in Burbank. Thanks for your help.  My insurance will change at the end of the month to Aetna PPO. However I meet with Dr. Q  on Wed. 
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/07 5:44 am - TX

You certainly do not want a surgeon who hasn't done a lot of revisions from RNY to DS to touch you!  It's the most complex, hardest surgery of them all.  Here are your DS surgeons in CA:

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/surgeons/surgeons.html#ca

CALIFORNIA

Delano

Los Angeles

San Francisco

San Mateo

* John J. Feng, MD, FACS (photo)
    E-mail:
    [email protected]
    Phone: (650) 685-2959
    Fax: (650) 685-6754
    Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
    Minimally Invasive Surgery for Obesity
    Crystal Springs Surgical Associates, A Medical Group, Inc.
    101 South San Mateo Drive, Suite 302
    San Mateo, California 94401
    http://www.CrystalSurgical.com

Cheryl J.
on 6/21/07 4:39 am

Hi Pamela, How are you able to have a revision since your BMI is under 35?  I was wondering because that is what I am struggling with now. Im 5'6" and I currently weigh 197lbs. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/07 10:46 pm - TX

While I'm not an insurance expert, I've heard that revision surgeries can be approved for other reasons besides BMI.   If there is evidence of mechanical failure of your original surgery or if your co-morbids are the bad ones...... (diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea).  It could be any of those reasons with a growing BMI. 

As I said, I don't work for the insurers, but that's my best guess.

Most Active