I had a REVERSAL 4 weeks ago

debic
on 5/31/07 3:57 pm - Canada
For those of you who might be curious - I had a RNY Bypass reversal 4 weeks ago and am open to any questions you'all have if this is something you might be considering for yourself. Debi
sistabadgurl
on 6/1/07 2:10 pm
Hi Debi,

I am scheduled for a reversal of my RNY on Monday. I have so many questions. How long did your surgery take? How long were you in the hospital? How are you doing now? oh my goodness, lol I want to know everything. Thank you so much for your help. I am really scared.

Jill
Jill from Turlock
debic
on 6/2/07 5:14 am, edited 6/2/07 5:15 am - Canada
To answer your questions: My original surgery was a Fobi pouch with an RNY bypass. Basically that means that I had an RNY surgery, but my pouch had a ring around it. The reversal surgery took only couple hours, was laproscopic, I was in the hospital for 4 nights. The type of reversal he did was where they put your intestines back (dumping is gone) and they join the pouch to your remaining stomach. There is a passageway between the 2. I have been told I will need to eat slowly for about a year until the size of the pouch stretches, right now there is still some restriction because the food travels through the pouch into the old stomach. I am doing awesome now 4 weeks later. Recovery in the hosp was harder, and more painful than the first one. I used more pain medication for the first week than I did the first go around. Expect to be on liquids again for a while. I just moved from liquids to softs this past week. Nausea for me comes and goes. I have been told that my Vegas nerve (the thing that tells your stomach it is time to empty) won't fire up for about a year. So walking to promote digestion is recommended. Also there is a medication called Reglin that helps it along.  In my case I feel great 90% of the time. I am absorbing all my nutrition, and I can drink fluids. I am still not thirsty nor hungry though.  Debi
sistabadgurl
on 6/2/07 11:19 am
Oh, thank you Debi!

How long were you in the hospital? Did you have a feeding tube? and was it an open surgery this time? Also, do you know if the Greaylin (sp) hormone is still bypassed? I am soooo glad You are feeling better. I bet you have a lot more strength and energy too! I cn't wait to feel better!

Jill
Jill from Turlock
debic
on 6/2/07 11:33 am - Canada
4 nights in hospital. No feeding tube. It was laproscopic. I am assuming the grelin hormone is still bypassed as I am not hungry nor thirsty at all. I have to force myself to drink fluids or eat, as I just do not want to. I have a ton of energy now. I'll be waiting to hear about your experience, so please when you are feeling better send me a message.  Deb
hotwheel-queen
on 6/2/07 3:44 am
HI, WHAT SURGERY DID YOU PREV. HAVE AND WHAT DO YOU HAVE NOW, AND WAS IT OPEN OR LAP?? WISHING YOU THE BEST OF LUCK AND PLEASE POST ALL THE DETAILS SO WE CAN ALL READ YOUR RESULTS.. THERE ARE ALOT OF US ON HERE SEARCHING REVISIONS FOR MANY REASONS. THANK YOU
Cheryl J.
on 6/2/07 12:58 pm
Hi Debi, Why does one have a reversal? Why did you have a reversal? This is different from a revision, correct? Thanks for the info DazzlingEyes
debic
on 6/2/07 2:31 pm - Canada
I had a reversal 4 weeks after my initial surgery because of complications. I was unable to keep down fluids at all, even tiny sips of water would eventually all come back up. I was malnourished and dehydrated. There was some sort of ring around my stomach (fobi pouch) and it was too constricting, it was obstructing the passage of everything. I opted for a reversal at that point. Deb
SFCynthia
on 6/18/07 7:48 am, edited 6/18/07 7:48 am - San Francisco, CA
So now you have no kind of weight loss surgery?  Are you going to have something else in the future, or have you decided that this was it? I'm glad they were able to restore it completely, but what will you do about losing weight?
debic
on 6/18/07 2:24 pm - Canada

I am actually still losing weight just fine. There is never a real complete reversal. They put my intestine back, but I still have restriction and am not hungry at all. My insides will never be fully all back to normal. There are nerves and such that will never function again. My pouch and my old stomach are joined but due to the upper part still being my pouch, I still feel full very quick. I am greatful to be able to eat something at this point - when I opted for the reversal it was to survive and weight loss was not as important and getting nourishment, but I do hope to lose more than the 75 I have already lost - my doctor says 40 more would be perfect. I do need to watch what I eat though cause I am able to eat more than most bypass patients, but no where near what I used to. For example, 1/2 cup MAX. Deb

Most Active