NEWBIE here...What's the deal with "revisions?"

CollieMac
on 5/30/07 3:30 pm - Lanham, MD
Hello, I'm fairly new to OH and am in the process of researching various procedures.  OH has a plethora of information that I'm trying to filter through and I came across this forum.  What's the deal with "revisions?"  What are some of the cir****tances surrounding "revisions" e.g. surgeon incompetence, dieting, etc.  Please, do share...
CAM
on 5/31/07 7:56 am - Houston area, TX

Well, for me, I ended up having the revision from LAP band to RNY after 2 1/2 years with the LAP band.  I had fairly good results with the LAP band, I just hit a one year plateau and I needed a stronger "tool" to help wage war in my battle against the bulge.  With the LAP band I lost about 100 pounds the first 1 1/2 year, but nothing after that.  I was originally urged by my husband and surgeon to go with the RNY, but I wasn't ready for something so drastic and permanent.  Now, I realize I should have chosen that route. 

I hope this helps answer your question!!

Good luck on your search for answers!

299 start/235 current/180 doc goal/165 my goal

Deb *.
on 6/1/07 2:41 am
I recently had a revision from a VBG to RNY in March.  I had my VBG done in 1992 and lost around 125 lbs and kept it off for about 5 years.  After that I put on more than 250lbs from my low weight of 250.  I found out this year that the staple line on my VBG had opened into my stomach, which basically negated the surgery. Debbi

debrat262
on 6/4/07 3:06 am - Los Angeles, CA
My lapband eroded after 2 1/2 years.  This had nothing to do with surgeon incompetence.  I was under the care of a doctor in Mexico for the first 2 years without problems, and then switched to a U.S. doctor for convenience.  The U.S. doctor may have adjusted the band too tight, but they really don't know exactly what causes an erosion.  Every WLS carries some risk of complications.   I had the VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) performed in January after the band was removed, so I guess I would be called a "revision" member.  But I usually hang out with VSG'rs or Graduates. Debra

Lapband 5/21/04; Eroded Band Removed 11/18/06; VSG 1/06/07

Nunyo B.
on 6/11/07 7:09 am
Hello- I had SRVG (like VBG) back in 1997 and lost about 100lbs.  Then I started gaining weight and could eat a lot more than I should have.  I have since gained all of the weight back, plus some.  I decided to go back to my original surgeon and after an endoscope it was determined I had ring failure.  I have just been approved for a revision to the Duodenal Switch.  It's been a long, hard road to get the DS approved through my insurance, but it will be well worth it. People have revisions for a variety of reasons, but mostly because their initial procedure is not working for them as well as they had hoped, or there was a technical failure of some sort. You are doing the most crucial part of WLS right now... research, research, research!  Definitely visit all the forums, as lots of questions and then make the WLS decision that is right for you! Good luck!
Most Active