mini-gastric bypass to lap band

darnell239
on 5/29/07 1:22 pm - Columbia, SC
I had the mini-gastric bypass 7 years ago.  I don't know how familiar anyone is with this procedure but if you go to: clos.net you can find out in great detail about it.  Here is the question.  I have regained back most of my weight and I do not want to be cut open and have someone cutting into my gut again.  Can a lap band be put even though I have had a previous bypass?   Is it true that this lap band is a simple procedure?  I appreciate any help anyone can offer.
sweetmocha
on 5/31/07 4:57 am - chicago, IL

Hi Darnell,    I had the lapband procedure done about 5 years ago,  yes the lapband is a simple procedure, ti only take a exp surgeon about half - or 1 hr to perform  the lapband, when i had the lapband place  I was up and walking and went back to work in 3 days......I hope this information will help you make the right choice. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 much success.....

~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/2/07 1:07 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I know they put Lap-Bands over RNYs... so I would think it would be the same with the MGB.  You might want to contact Dr. Rutledge and ask him if he knows of any surgeons who are experienced in doing that.  As the MGB is slightly different than an RNY, I would think you'd want somebody familiar with the operation.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

triciaw199
on 9/14/07 8:22 am - hope mills, NC
I had the mini-gastric bypass in 98.  I had severe gastric reflux and had a revision on July 31, with Dr. Mitchell in Pinehurst NC.  I am very glad I had it done with him, he has done many revisions with patients who had a mini before.  The lap band is only good if you don't like sweets, if you do it will not work for you .  I hope this helps.
darnell239
on 9/14/07 9:23 am - Columbia, SC
Triciaw, Can you tell me what your revision was to?  You also mentioned that Dr. Mitchell has done a lot of revisions with patients who had the mini gastric-bypass.  Do you think it is because of high failure rate or complications.  I don't find many people who had the mini so when I do I like to communicate with them.
triciaw199
on 9/15/07 6:12 am - hope mills, NC
The reason I had a revision was becasue I had gastric bile reflux and that is why Dr. Mitchell has done so many of the mini's.  I also had gained back about  80lbs after having my baby in 2003.  The only reason my insurace payed for it was because of the bile reflux.  The doctor just made my stomach small again and didn't touch my intestines.  I have lost about 17lbs so far since july 31.  I hope to keep losing more weight .  I was 360lbs back in 98 then I got to 145lbs .  I kept that weight for several years before I got pregnant with my now 4 year old little girl.  If I can answer anymore questions let me know, Thanks Tricia
Most Active