Looking for info on RNY revision surgery

schoolbustam
on 5/9/07 10:26 am
Hi I am new here and am interested in hearing any info about revision surgery.  I had RNY in 99, lost about 130 # and regained around 50/60.  I was interested in the lap band but local surgeons office who performs these will not lap around a RNY due to too little tissue.  They suggested a revision, but b/c I had Open before, they will not try to do the revision Laproscopically .  Has anyone had the Lap after an open RNY ?  Any one had a revision after the RNY?  I really don't know what to do at this point.  I still qualify BMI wise as I am 5'3 and around 250.  ANy info would help tons!  Tammy
Sherry C.
on 5/9/07 6:25 pm - Plainview, TX
I had an open stapling in 1987 and I am having a lap RNY by Dr wade Barker in Dallas. He is one of 3 surgeons in DFW who do revision.  He said lap revision are preferred fr people who have had open procedures in the past. Good Luck. Sherry 
                                   Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal              
        John   341/331/163/185            Sherry   345/338/201/165
        John 22 lbs below goal                   Sherry 47 lbs  till goal
 JOHN                                                               Sherry 122 inches lost

mish
on 5/10/07 1:56 am - Baltimore, MD
In 1/06 I had a lap band put over a 1994 bypass and I've had nothing but success.  Read my profile for details. If you want more info, PM me. Good luck!

Mish

4/94:  RNY start weight:   258 lbs.                              
 1/06:  Lap band start weight:  189 lbs. 
  6/07:  122 lbs. size 6
tonilynm
on 5/10/07 6:18 am
Mish,  your story sounds very much like mine.  I am in the process of trying to find solutions.  The dr that did my bypass surgery has passed away and the dr in his office will only consider a revision if I am on a 6 month dr supervised diet and if I weigh 240 (I am at 210).  Other surgeons I have contacted about the lap band have told me that I can't have a lap band if I havve had a bypass.   I am thinking of going to Mexico.  A dr there will put a non adjustable band around my stomach.  Any suggestions? Toni
(deactivated member)
on 5/11/07 5:39 am - TX
You might want to read my profile.  My revision from RNY to DS in Aug has been a huge success, I have little or no gas and am only 16 lbs from my goal of 140.  I'm wearing a size 10 after less than 9 months. Started at a 24 or 26. 
redone
on 5/11/07 6:22 am - Goodyear, AZ
I had open RNY in 2001 and a Revision with the lap band in 2007. The surgeon that did it is Dr. Villares  (his priatice is called Minimally Invasive Surgical Consultants) in Phoenix, Arizona. He is one of the top Doctors and is the one other surgeons send their patients to that are difficult to redo. The hospital he works at is Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center and is was awarded the Facility of Excellence in barriatric surugery and revision.  Good luck to you....
Most Active