Insurance covering second revision

Karen H.
on 4/22/07 10:17 am
I would like to know what a DS is...I had RNY 2/10/2004 and I need something done quickly. Haven't seen my bariatric doctor for 2 years. Need a new doctor, know of any? Thank You
slickgt
on 4/22/07 2:00 pm - Bolingbrook, IL
DS stands for Duodenal Switch.  There is a forum here for that procedure.  Starry1st is the person you need to speak with.  She has a wealth of information on the subject.   Check out this link  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/ good luck! ED PS - Can you come to Chicago?  There are great surgeons here who do the DS as well as RNY revisions.
Karen H.
on 4/23/07 12:46 am
Do you know of a Great Bariatric surgeon in Ill. that would take me? Thank you for responding. Karen
slickgt
on 4/23/07 4:45 am - Bolingbrook, IL
You could certainly talk to my surgeon.  I think he is the greatest.  His name is Dr. Joseph Vitello.  He works out of UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago).  His office is 312-355-4300.  The website address is http://uillinoismedcenter.org/ Good luck - let me know what you decide to do. Ed
Karen H.
on 4/23/07 5:35 am
Thank you Ed, I will check out his website...I will let you know what I decide. God Bless, Karen
cheyenne16
on 4/23/07 2:16 am - Post Falls, ID
Check this out: Has anyone heard about the new procedure?  I mean BRAND NEW procedure that they are now doing for people who have had gastric bypass surgery and didn't lose all of their weight or who started regaining?  They do it endoscopically (through your mouth, into your stomach) so it's less invasive.  They tighten up the stoma and stomach so you're like you were right after gastric bypass surgery.  I have pretty much maintained my weight loss but I know a LOT of people who never made it to goal or who have regained.  Dr. Barry Fisher in Las Vegas is doing this new procedure and I"m sure other are too.  I did a search on google and found this info on Mount Sinai's website that explains it a little. Cheyenne The Mount Sinai Program for Surgical Weight Loss is participating in a multiinstitutional study to investigate a new less invasive surgical option to treat weight regain in post-gastric bypass patients. Most gastric bypass patients obtain excellent weight loss after gastric bypass surgery. Some patients, however, experience some weight regain years after their bypass surgery. Such weight regain may be caused by an enlarged pouch or stoma (the connection between the stomach pouch and intestine).

We are using FDA-cleared endoscopic instruments to decrease pouch and stoma size in order to improve weight loss. This technique does not require surgical incisions. Rather, the endoscopic suturing device is introduced through the mouth like an upper endoscopy. Sutures are placed in the stomach pouch to reduce the size of the gastric pouch.

This approach is intended to provide a less invasive alternative to laparoscopic or open surgical revision for patients who initially did well with their bypass but have subsequently regained some of their weight back.

Karen H.
on 4/23/07 5:33 am
This sounds like an interesting way to do that? I'll see what I can find out about it. Thank You. Karen
KRWaters
on 5/5/07 7:17 am - Manteca, CA
Cheyenne, it sounds like you are talking about scleroderma, where an irritant is placed on the stoma to shrink it? It is done through the mouth. I am in the process of inquiring about it from my surgeon. His office staff say he doesn't do it, but will inquire again. They thought maybe a "vein doctor" or maybe a gastroenterologist would do it. I am waiting anxiously to hear from them. Karen
cheyenne16
on 5/5/07 8:23 am - Post Falls, ID
I found out more info. No, it's not scleroderma, it's brand new.  It's called Stomaphyx.  They go in endoscopically (through your mouth) with a tool and take new stitches in your pouch, making it smaller, more like it was after gastric bypass.  There is no down time and the only side effect could be a mild sore throat, but maybe not. The procedure will run about $5,000 to $6,000 dollar and the surgeon believes that insurance companies will pay for it.  It's much cheaper and less invasive than a complete revision. The only surgeon I know of that will be doing it is Dr. Barry Fisher in Las Vegas.  I"m sure other surgeons will be doing it but he's the only one I'm familiar with.  He's already done the training but it will not be offered until next month. Cheyenne
cheyenne16
on 4/23/07 2:20 am - Post Falls, ID
Wishing you well on your upcoming revision.  You will be having surgeon on my birthday so I will think of you and say a prayer that God guides the surgeons hands, that everything goes perfectly and that you have a speedy recovery and successful weight loss following.  Sounds like you have a wise surgeon that has a great plan for you. Blessings, Cheyenne
Most Active