Insurance covering second revision

tmaness
on 4/19/07 6:04 am - Cramerton, NC
Has anyone had a second revision and did their insurance cover?  I had a staple line disruption and this was the cause of my first revision now I have an enlarged stoma.  Wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues and if insurance covered the revision.
slickgt
on 4/20/07 3:07 am - Bolingbrook, IL
I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield Blue Advantage and have been approved for a revision which is scheduled for May 16.  I have an enlarged anastomosis and a hernia.  My doctor is going to tighen up the anastomosis, fix the hernia and bypass more intestine to get more of the malabsorbtion effect.  Good luck to you!
tmaness
on 4/20/07 3:11 am - Cramerton, NC
If you don't mind me asking do you still have a high BMI?  I was lucky in that I lost most of my weight after the second surgery but now I'm gaining back.  My doctor has been talking to me about putting in the lap band to correct the problem but I do not see him again until May 4th.
slickgt
on 4/20/07 3:17 am - Bolingbrook, IL
I went from 469 lbs and a BMI of 60.2 to my current weight of 310 pounds and a BMI of 39.8.  My doctor doesn't think the lapband will correct my problem long term and he said a RNY revision was a better choice for me, which I'm fine with.  I basically told him, do whatever you have to do to make it impossible for me to eat much (because obviously I have no self control!) HA! I still want to lose another 120 pounds and get down to 190.  I am 6'2" How about you?  What are your stats/story? Ed
tmaness
on 4/20/07 3:23 am - Cramerton, NC
I went from 317 down to 168 now I'm back to 200 but my BMI is 30 but I keep gaining.  No self control here either.  I had my first RNY in 2002 with a rivision in 2004 due to a stable line disruption.  I started have trouble again a few months ago and my doctor had me do the 3 months follow up to montor what is happening.  My weight keeps going up so I see him on May 4th to discuss a second revision but I'm not sure if my insurance will cover.  I just don't  want to gain all the weight back and be back where I started.
slickgt
on 4/20/07 8:01 am - Bolingbrook, IL
can you eat a lot?  do you know why you're having trouble this time?  Perhaps you have an enlarged anostomosis too?  If so, I would think a revision is in order.  We have a right to expect this "tool" to work as advertised and when it doesn't it should be fixed.  The whole idea here (at least as far as I'm concerned) is to make us physically unable to eat large quantities of food.  If we all had will power, we would never need this surgery in the first place.  Good luck
tmaness
on 4/22/07 9:26 am - Cramerton, NC
 I can eat just like before I had surgery.  I knew something was wrong and after I started to research and had several test my doctor finally agreed I had an enlarged anostomosis. I see the doctor on May 4th to discuss a revision.  He told me at my last appointment that if he had to do a revision that he could redo the whole thing or put in a lap band.  I'm leaning toward the band.  If my insurance denies the claim I don't know what I will do then.
Karen H.
on 4/22/07 10:14 am
I can eat anything and everything , also. I had RNY 2/10/2004 and have gained alot of my weight back. Havent seen my doctor for 2 years , when I had to be rushed into surgery with a bleeding ulcer. He wasn't very happy about that. told me" your the one that wanted this done." I never went back to him. So I don't know if I have something going on or what. I am anemic now though. but that is under control. Amy suggestions? Does anybody know any Bariatric doctors who would take me? Thank You,
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/07 8:49 am - TX
Which is why I insisted on a DS for my revision.  I had several surgeons try to talk me into repairing my RNY but at my age (54) I just didn't want another WLS that could fail me.  I don't think you can break the DS.
slickgt
on 4/20/07 1:23 pm - Bolingbrook, IL
I can't believe you're 54.  You look marvelous! 
Most Active