Revision means

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/07 11:47 am - TX

Hi all.  I'm sincerely trying to help all of ya's who need or think you may need a revision.  Please do your homework and know exactly what it is you're getting into.  Too many do not know what type of surgery they had in the past, RNY, proximal or distal?  And too many do not know there are different types of revisions.

A revision is simply that.  A surgery that revises your first surgery.  Whether or not it's RNY to DS, RNY to RNY, Promimal RNY to Distal RNY, etc.  A revision simply means something was "revised"

As a failed RNY'r, I did my homework and decided that a DS would be my last weight loss surgery.  I was too old at 54 to chance having my RNY "fixed" or "revised", so I found the very best revision to DS surgeon I could, flew to San Fran in Aug and am so very glad it all worked out so well for me.

If you do your research, you can find stats on the success of long term RNY'r who are able to keep the weight off.  I'm sorry to have to tell you this but the RNY has a dismal failure rate in the long term of being successful.

Did you ever wonder why so many of us are crying and moaning that we've regained most or all of our lost weight? 

Statistically, the DS has the best results for long term success in as far as keeping the excess weight off.  Does that mean it's a free ride?  No......you must absolutely commit to being compliant with meeting your protein needs, your vitamin and supplement requirements, drinking your water and getting your labs done so your surgeon can see what's happening with your body.  The DS is the most malabsorptive procedure out there and it's not to be taken lightly by anyone. 

I try to stop over here weekly but I see so many of the same threads, it's just too much for me to answer individually.  I wish I could help you all but just by letting you know you do have options to research is a help, I hope. 

Summerbabies
on 4/8/07 3:46 pm
You are a great encouragement to those of us who have failed...I am so glad to see how well your weight loss has gone. Please keep up the info...Even if we don't write, there are us lurkers here who appreciate the info!
(deactivated member)
on 5/3/07 11:40 pm - TX
On April 8, 2007 at 10:46 PM Pacific Time, Summerbabies wrote:
You are a great encouragement to those of us who have failed...I am so glad to see how well your weight loss has gone. Please keep up the info...Even if we don't write, there are us lurkers here who appreciate the info!
Thank you Summerbabie.
Evie
on 4/8/07 11:52 pm, edited 4/8/07 11:53 pm - Arnprior, Canada
Hi there... Thank you for your thread.  This is the first time I come to this board.  I am usuallly on the Ontario message board as that is where I am from.   I am having revision surgery in July.  In November 1997 I had the VBG (Vertical Banded Gastroplasty, stomach stapling) done with no malabsorption.  At the time i weighted in at 540 pounds.  My surgeon at the time (retired now) decided to start my weight loss with the VBG.  Now, 10 years later I have lost about 200 pounds.  My metabolism has slowed down to nothing now.  I am not gaining weight and I am not losing weight.  I have been at 330 pounds now for well over 5 years.  I did some research and decided that I "COULD" have a revision done.  My VBG will stay intact as it is still working for me...i am not able to eat alot and if i over due it, i still vomit...etc...I will be having the DS added to my original surgery.  My VBG will not be touched at all.  If it is not broken, no need to fix it, right?  Anyhow...my revision will be my final step to losing this weight i need to lose and I am praying this will be my answer to a healthier body and lifestyle! I know I will never be a skinny minny but I am looking forward to being able to see my feet and shop in a normal store! Anyhow...I just wanted to share my story as many people out there have had the same surgery as me and are "stuck"....maybe my story will help them.... Happy Easter all! TTFN!! Eve
(deactivated member)
on 5/3/07 11:43 pm - TX

Evie, best of luck.  Come on over to the DS board and chime in. It will be great to have another RNY to DS person to help me with all the revision requests and PM's I get.  At times, it's overwhelming and there just are not enough hours in the day to get to everyone individually.  I wish I could. 

Who is doing your revision to DS?  Let me guess.  Dr. L in MI?  He's one of the best.

KRWaters
on 4/13/07 10:53 am - Manteca, CA
My doc suggested I have a lapband after my RNY, which I had 2 years ago. Someone here said that if sugars and starches are your downfall, lapband won't work. Is that right? Someone else here suggested sclerotherapy to shrink the stoma back to the size it should be to lose weight again. Doing this would maybe alleviate the pain to go through insurance approval, paying $4,000 out of pocket for sugery, a 6 month preop diet and anything else needed to have the surgery. I think I will talk to my doc about this sclerotherapy. Karen
(deactivated member)
on 5/3/07 11:48 pm - TX

I don't know much about the long term success rate of the lapband over the RNY.  And Thersa is having the sclerotherapy soon, so we can watch her journey.  I did plenty of research on the DS and RNY to DS though and it met my needs.  I'm totally happy with my DS.  Check out my profile for my latest pictures and believe me, I don't wear diapers, mess in my pants or have uncontrollable gas.

I really am quite normal and you'd never know I even had WLS unless you saw the scar on my belly and recognized the saggy skin as being from WLS.  I've actually been extremely blessed with resilient skin, even at 55 and gaining and losing over 400 lbs in my lifetime (in 100 to 140 lb chunks)

I don't even have stretch marks from having my kids 30 something years ago.  I do have baggy skin now, but nothing that can't be fixed by some plastic surgery.

busyredhed
on 5/1/07 1:37 am - Merced, CA
Starry, I have a question for you on the DS. My surgeon saw me yesterday. I have had an ongoing problem with severe reactive hypoglycemia despite a very strict diet and I have lost 100% of my weight and maintained it without gaining a pound back for the last couple of years. He says that this is what makes me unique because I am eating normally and having the hypoglycemia without gaining any weight. He put me on acarbose yesterday to slow the absorption of sugar and carbs but it turned into a nightmare for me as I was sick all night and felt like I was on a complete sugar high. He will be seeing me in a month and says that absent any medication that can help me, he will revise me to a DS. Are the vitamin rules the same as RNY? I am very consistent on taking my calcium, b12, iron and multivitamins along with a few others at this point and am curious as to whether the deficiencies are greater with the DS or the same. How difficult was the surgery and recovery being revised from the RNY?  Needless to say, I am a little nervous but I want a long term solution and he thinks the DS(as a last resort of course) will work. Thank You, Dawna
(deactivated member)
on 5/2/07 3:11 pm - TX

Hi again Dawna.  The vitamin/supplement regimen is similar to the RNY but we don't malabsorb the B vitains, so no need to up our doses on them nor go get the B12 shots monthly as with the RNY. 

The malapsorption with the DS is greater but if you're diligent about taking your vitamins, I don't see that as a problem.  I take 6 calcium citrate, 2 multi's, and 2 dry D3 daily (I was low on D pre op, so just trying to get into range by taking 2 instead of 1)  Other than that, I don't take anything else but a couple medications, such as an allergy pill, synthroil and cymbalta.

The surgery was open (so was my RNY) and other than me being 12 years older, I didn't see much difference in how my recovery went.  I am a very strong person and was out sight seeing 5 days after surgery.  Took my DIL and grandson to see the pacific ocean, via bus all the way across san francisco.  Even changed buses!  That was on Friday and on Sunday we went souvinier shopping in China town and I walked at least a mile, some of it up hills.

I will PM you with some more information tomorrow.  I'm beat tonight. 

busyredhed
on 5/3/07 1:15 am - Merced, CA
Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. Dawna
Most Active