Revision after BPD/DS? BPD/DS Failures??

lilly123
on 3/31/07 3:45 am
I had a bpd/ds 4 years ago.  I went from 265 to 194 and am now at 213!  Although I have lost and feel better I don't believe I have had nearly the results I should have.  Only recently have I thought more about it  and why.  I feel like a failure when I see other who have had a band and have done extremely well and I had what i thought was the best and didnn't.  I finally took the step to go back to my original surgeon the end of this month.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  What I  read is revisions to this procedure, where do I go from here?  Thanks for any info!
Kay B.
on 3/31/07 4:43 pm - MD
DS on 03/02/01 with
Have you checked out the DS Revision Yahoo group?  Some of the people there have had or are seeking revisions to the duodenal switch.  Its address is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DS_Revision
KRWaters
on 4/13/07 8:56 am - Manteca, CA
Hi, I have had the same feelings with my RNY, that I am a failure, only losing 90 pouinds and then pujtting 30 back on in the last 5 months. I believe I wasn't given or I didn't understand the original instructions on what to eat. I have been including 1% or nonfat milk in my program almost every day and now hear that is a no-no cuz of the sugar in it. No one ever told me that. My surjgeon's protocol says we can have milk early on with the just liquid phase so i continued the milk. I am sure there are other things, well maybe too many carbs though I do watch how many I eat. It is just not working for me. So I am considering a revision with a lapband after I do the6 month diet and if I have the  out-of-pocket $4,000 to pay and if my new insurance Secure Horizons approves me. Karen
Kilaani
on 5/3/07 5:00 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Lilly,

That must be so frustrating - especially since you didn't start at an extremely high weight. It may be that your stomach or common channel were bigger/longer. Some folks are very sensitive that way, or just have stubborn bodies!

I've heard of some folks getting a DS to DS revision, shortening their common channel or reducing their stomachs a bit more and then getting to where they wanted to be.

Other questions - how are you with sugar/carbs? That definitely can impact rate of loss.

I also suggest getting on the yahoo groups for DS revisions or the yahoo group duodenalswitch and putting questions out there.

Jill

revision from band to DS 3/10/05

440/435/184/165

hw/sw/cw/gw

www.picturetrail.com/kilaani

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/07 11:37 pm - TX

Do you know how large your stomach was left?  How long your cc is? I have heard of a 10-20 lb regain and like Jill, I've also heard of some who needed their stomachs trimmed or the cc shortened a bit.

Dr. Husted is the premier expert on revisions.

http://www.lapsf.com/index.php

Most Active