fill failure

Cathy A.
on 3/29/07 2:14 am - Modesto, CA
I had RNY 2002 then was banded October of 2006. I am having such a hard time getting to a good fill. I am at 3.5 in a 4 cc band and still don't hve any help from band. It feels less  now than at 3 cc. Ficve months is a long time to be in Bandster hell. I feel discouraged and such a failure. I try to eat bandster portions and foods but on my own will power I faulter and fail. I don't have a leak in band the full 3cc was there. So is there any hope Please tell me this happened to you and finally got better.
KRWaters
on 4/13/07 8:43 am - Manteca, CA

Hi there, i don't have an answer for you, sorry. I did want to ask you otherwise how did it go with getting approval for the lapband after the RNY. I had RNY in 4/05 and just saw my dr for a 2 yr followup. I have gained 30 pounds. He recommended the lapband this time around as it was less fatal compared to two other surgeries he could do. I do have Secure Horizons Medicare and don't know if they would approve me or not, etc. etc. I do have to do the 6 month supervised diet first. What insurance did you have in  2002 for the RNY and what insurance for the lapband and was there any problem with getting approved for the 2nd time around? Karen

Cathy A.
on 4/15/07 11:51 pm - Modesto, CA
Hi Karen, I had Pacific Care for my RNY and then I had Health Net for the band. Dr Corin is a good Dr and he is doing the band now so he should be able to help you. When the Dr send in all the right info there is no problem usually. I went to Dr Coates first and was denied twice I feel because he did not send in the right info to insurance. I changed to Dr HIga in Fresno and was authorized in one week. What a difference a good Dr makes. My Hysband and daughter are doing the 6 month thing with Healthy Roads is that what you have to do?
KRWaters
on 4/16/07 4:19 am - Manteca, CA
Oh wow, you live in Modesto right next to me, ha ha. I was wondering if I know you, but don't think so. Any ways, thanx for your response. No, I have Secure Horizons medicare and Dr. Coirin said they require a 6 month diet with a progress so I am to see Diane the PA on May 4th. I am trying to lose weight on my own with my old RNY, LOL. I am restricting my sugar more, but I still eat carbs, a tiny bagel or a tortilla with cheese for a snack and I eat all my protein (meats, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, eggs) you know all the stuff. I went back to doing water aerobics this morning. I used to do them all the time last fall and then in January or was it Feb I switched to walking instead, but I put out my back couple of weeks back and hadn't done much of anything until today so hopefully I am back  on track. Karen
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/07 1:33 pm - Big Sky Country, ID
Don't give up hope.  For RNY patients that convert to the band I've heard it takes a really large fill to get proper restriction because of the previous surgery.  The band will hold up to 5 cc if it has too and there are people on the forum that have that much in their band...so don't give up.  You have a lot of room yet to fill that band.  I have 3.1 cc in my band and have good restriction right now, but I will continue to get fills.  I am at the goal I set for myself, but I would still like to lose 10-15 more pounds.  Don't give up on the band..it's a great tool. Dee :)
Cathy A.
on 4/21/07 9:01 am - Modesto, CA
Thanks Dee, I haven't given up hope and it is good to still have hope before the band I had that hopeless feeling.  I am just impatient I guess. This is a long, long time for bandster hell. 
(deactivated member)
on 4/26/07 1:08 pm - Brampton, Canada
Hi Cathy, Don't give up!  When I had my revision to lapband (after VBG 20 yrs ago) last year it took me 4 fills and 4 mths. to reach my first good restriction.  Now I just had my first bandiversary and I am down from 251 day of surgery to 164 and I have only 39 more lbs. before I reach my goal of 125 lbs.!
Cathy A.
on 4/27/07 12:23 am - Modesto, CA
Hi donna, Thanks for the support. I went for a fill yesterday. and there was nothing in my band so maybe I have a leak. The Dr said no wonder you don't feel any restriction. He put 1.5 back in and will check May 21 then we will go from there. Dr said it is an easy fix. He said he has a repair kit lol. I know this will work but 6 months of bandster hell is really trying my nerves lol. But at least now I don't feel like some wierdo that just can't get it right. My band seems broken so we will just fix it Cathy
Most Active