Sclerotherapy?

Theresa W.
on 3/25/07 6:03 am - Northern Lower, MI
Thanks for the invite to the DS Board!  I have popped in there and have had some great responses...that's how I know the DS is a good revision surgery...just checking all options.  I am really confused as to what to do next... Hoping this appt. coming up will help me.  Thanks for your response!  Theresa
deeno
on 3/27/07 5:16 am - Kokomo, IN
Hi Theresa! I, too, am looking into sclerotherapy @ WWMC in Michigan (my neighbor to the north).  I agree, it seems like the least invasive proceedure.  From what little I have found on-line, it seems that a large percentage of people are able to lose about 25% of their remaining excess weight after sclerotherapy.  I would be pleased with this.  I am hopefull that it will not only help me lose a few pounds, but more importantly put the brakes on gaining any weight. I am curious at how much the procedure costs (without insurance coverage--I have insurance, but WLS is an exclusion now).  If you find out at your meeting, let me know.  Also, what are your symptoms and how long have you had them--what makes you believe you are a candidate for this procedure?  My hubby and I have both had RNY (him--4 1/2 years out, me 2 1/2 years out).  When I was 2 weeks out I could eat more than he could at 2 years out.  I initially stopped eating (during the first 6 months after surgery) out of fear, not fullness.  I was scared that i would break something, but I always wanted to eat more, and was able to eat more.   Thankfully, I was able to lose ~70 pounds, but I'd sure like to lose another 30 or so (losing 25 would put me on the heavy end of a "normal" BMI).  Early on I talked to my surgeon about the "cottage cheese" test--I never did do the cottage cheese test--she said it really wasn't accurate, and not a good idea.  She gave me some options (revision, surgery, etc...  I didn't want to have a surgery--too much risk for too little benefit---plus, I did lose ~ 70% of my excess weight so I was and still am considered "successful" by WLS terms). Anyhow, I think I was a candidate from day one, and would be suprised to hear otherwise.  I am under the impression that sclerotherapy is performed on the same day they evaluate/scope you if you are a candidate--you're already "under" for the scope and they just zap you right there---is that true?  Inquiring minds want to know.... *wink*. Please share with all of us what you find out after your meeting.  I see my future, and really hope that this is as easy as it sounds.  I don't visit this area often (maybe I should.....).  It would be great if you could email me with any info you can.  I'm trying to convince my Indiana surgeon to look into this procedure.  If she doesn't, I'm high-tailing it to Michigan! Thanks Diana [email protected]
Most Active