Sclerotherapy?

Theresa W.
on 3/8/07 7:25 am - Northern Lower, MI

Hi Everyone! Just wondering if anyone has had a procedure called "sclerotherapy" for an enlarged stoma?  (For those that may not of heard of this, it is a procedure to shrink a stretched stoma by injecting an irritant into it, narrowing it, hence staying full longer).  Was it successful for you?  This is the least-invasive fix that I have found, since it is done while being scoped.  I have an appt. with a surgeon to talk about this, or a possible revision, depending on what he finds would be best for me.  Anybody out there with experience or thoughts on this? Thanks! Theresa

Paula Prichard
on 3/20/07 2:39 am - Kingman, AZ
I looked into this, but it could mean MULTIPLE treatments and there are NO documented cases that it has lasted longer than 6 months....and it is NOT permanent. I am not having a huge needle injected into my body cavity multiple times for something that wasn't permanent. I am 5+ years out from an open RNY....gained like 30 pounds from my "best" and had my pouch banded (lap) to help clamp down on the ripped stoma. I am 4 months out from that revision and have only lost like 3 pounds...having ANOTHER fill on Friday. The band is way more maintenance, but I am hoping once I get to where the band is full enough to restrict my food (as my pouch and stoma did), that I will be back to losing.

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
Theresa W.
on 3/20/07 5:38 am - Northern Lower, MI
Hi Paula, Thanks for the reply!  Yes, I do know that it may take multiple treatments, but not more than three treatments is what I understand is the norm.  And the injection is done thru a scope down the throat while you are alseep...not through the body cavity, if you mean "from the outside, in".  There is only slight discomfort for a day or so.  But again, I'm not sure if this is what I will do.  And if he feels I'm a better candidate for a full-fledged "revision", that's what I will do.  Personally speaking, I've never been a fan of the lapband...just didn't seem like something I'd want with refills, etc.  I hear the duodendo switch may be the revision for me, if that's the way I decide to go.  I will be asking all of these questions when I go to my appt. April 6th.  I certainly don't want to have the sclerotherapy procedure(s) if a revision is what I truly need.  That's why I was hoping to hear from someone who actually had the procedure...to see how it's gone for them.  I do appreciate your answer though and any I may get.  I'm digging for info!!:-) Thanks again! Theresa 
Paula Prichard
on 3/20/07 6:07 am - Kingman, AZ
I also looked into the DS. I know it is fabulous for some people- as are all the surgeries....but I already am MAJORLY iron deficient from my RNY....so much so that I have to get iron IV's when my numbers get super low.  The DS is even more malapsorptive, which I can't handle....plus I only have one child and all the research I did suggests that you get the DS if you are DONE having kids....plus it is just as invasive as the open RNY and that was rough! I am not a fan of the Band because of the fills and all that crap....I am 4 months out from my band placement and I am going in for my 4th fill this Friday- for a grand total loss of like 3 pounds. It is SUPER slow losing until you find the "sweet spot", but I also didn't want to risk any more malapsorbtion with the DS.  Plus, I decided if I was getting my ripped stoma fixed then I want it fixed....not just repaired for a while like the sclerotherapy.  I do like that once I get my band filled to where it restricts my pouch like it was before the stoma ripped, I'll be back to "normal" and be able to lose. :-)

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
Theresa W.
on 3/20/07 11:47 pm - Northern Lower, MI
So interesting, Paula.  Thanks for replying again!  Yeah, there are so many different things to consider.  I thought after the RNY I'd not have to think of this again, but here I am.  I am undecided as to what to do still.  I guess I will discuss it all with the Dr. at the appt.  Alot to think about. Thanks again!  Theresa
Diane U.
on 3/22/07 5:55 am - Warren, MI
Hi Theresa.  I have two friends that got the sclerotherapy from Dr. Marshall.  He had to do it 6-8 times and ended up recommending them both for a revision.  Not saying he didn't do a good job, just not so sure that the treatment really works.  Neither has lost any great amount of weight (less than 10 lbs each).  I heard Dr. Obied does revisions, who are you going to see?  Hugs,
No matter what a person's past may have been, their future is spotless.  Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!!   
Theresa W.
on 3/22/07 11:49 pm - Northern Lower, MI
Hi Diane, Thanks for the input!  Yes, I have been trying to decide if this procedure is the answer to my problems.  I am going to speak to the Dr. to see if a complete revision would be a better answer.  I really don't want to fool around with sclero. if it's not going to take care of it well.  The Dr. I'm going to see is Dr. Baker from MMPC in Grand Rapids.  Do you know what type of revision Dr. Obeid suggested for them?  I hear the DS is a great choice.  Just wondering.  Thanks for the info! Theresa       
Diane U.
on 3/24/07 9:14 am - Warren, MI
HI. They didn't go to see Dr. Obied, I just heard that he does revisions.  I wish you luck.  I lost 175 lba and have 150 to go.  I have been within the same weight for about 2 1/2 years.  I know part of it is my abuse and not using the tool....however, I went to the doctor and had my blood analyzed and the protein is up, she took me off of any kind of B's because my folates were over 1700 (supposed to be around 200); cut me down on all supplements; tested my b-12 and it is fine, mid-range. iron is good...so where is the malabsorption?  I can eat just about anything...don't dump...I think there must be something wrong.  I am thinking of going to see Dr. Hares.  He is in my area and does revisions.  I want to talk to someone to see if it is wrong or I am just a failure again.  I really appreciate your posts.  Take care and keep me posted.  Hugs.  Diane
No matter what a person's past may have been, their future is spotless.  Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!!   
Theresa W.
on 3/25/07 6:07 am - Northern Lower, MI
Oh, okay...I hear Dr. Obeid is an excellent surgeon too...  Best of luck to you on losing too....it is a real struggle after being out over 3 years....at least for me.  I can eat anything and more than I should be able to as well.  I know, I know, I should NOT know I can eat more...but I went and tested the waters, and here I am with a 40 lb gain.  I feel there may be something wrong in there too, and that's why I'm looking into a revision.  I a little scared though...I know it's more risky doing a revision...that's why I was thinking of the sclero.  But I don't want just a temporary fix either, if that ends up what it will be.  Still confused!!  I do appreciate your posts though, and yes, I will keep you posted.  Thanks again!  Hugs, Theresa
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/07 11:14 pm
Theresa, I just wanted you to know that there are lots of people who have revised from lapband and RNY to the DS and you cauld post on the DS board and ask all the questions you want and get the scoop right from the horse's mouth... so to speak.  There are several girls on the DS board who have had babies after their DS - Angie just had her perfectly healthy and happy little boy number 3 and is breastfeeding also! I invite you to come on over to the DS board... the folks there are super nice and love to answer questions... and they can back up their positions with published research... some really smart people over there! http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/
Most Active