NEED HELP DESPERATELY!!!

R C
on 3/3/07 10:04 am - IA

I need some desperate help!!  I had a revision from a VBG 11/04 to a RNY due to severe GERD.  I got down to my goal weight of 158#.   I have in the meantime had a baby and gained up to 212#.  I continue to gain and can't stop.  I am soooo depressed from this and the only thing that keeps me going in my beautiful daughter.  I don't have any clothes that fit to go anywhere, I hurt so bad, severe low back, hip and knee pain.  I had an upper GI and they say everything is fine.  I have no restriction at all.  Any advise please help.   I also am suffering from severe hypoglyemia and they have me on Precose for that and gave me phentermine for appetite suppressant, they both make me feel even worse.   Kourtney 

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/07 10:43 am - TX

I'm so sorry, I wish I could help.  This is the very reason I didn't want my RNY fixed when it broke the first time.  Too much with the RNY can go wrong.

Ask your PCP to order an endoscopy, then take the results to a really, really good revision surgeon.  You can't mess around with just any surgeon.  You need one whose done hundreds of them.  

My surgeon, Dr. Husted, specializes in revisions.  

http://www.lapsf.com/

R C
on 3/3/07 10:52 am - IA
What is the exact difference between the RNY and the DS?? 
(deactivated member)
on 3/5/07 7:13 am - TX

There are many differences, yet some similarities.  Both use restriction and malapsorption.  The RNY uses a pouch created at the top of your stomach and attaches the intestine to an articifical opening, called a Stoma. You no longer use your pyloric valve. The DS cuts away 3/4 of your stomach, but it's still natural shaped and your pyloric valve is intact.  

Read here: http://www.duodenalswitch.com/procedure/ds_vs__rny/ds_vs__rn y.html 

Smith_Comma_John
on 3/16/07 5:11 am

Hello, I had an open RNY in November 2000, went from 400 to 260.  Gained 20 lbs after 9 months.  Did fine until the last 18 months when I gained another 70 lbs.  I think I just got comfortable eating small amounts of the wrong food all day.   My personal feeling is that the type of surgery wasn't/isn't the problem, it is mental.  I would think a 20 or 30 lb gain is expected but keep a lid on it instead of doing like me and letting the scale run away.  I am trying to regain focus by joining this group and going back to meetings.   The fact that you posted and are thinking about it tells me you will be okay.  Just REREAD ALL THE INFORMATION you got pre-surgery and follow the advice you already know, there is nothing magic.  Sounds like you will be okay.   Stay focused and good luck.  Smith Comma John

Most Active