whats a Revision?

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/07 10:55 am - Rosiclare, IL
OK i know this is going to be a stupid question ,but i was wondering what a Revision was?I had my  OPEN RNY on 9-1-05 and i have gained almost 50  pds back,and can eat whatever i want almost every 2 hrs.Any info is good TY all...
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/07 5:52 am - TX

No question can be a stupid question.  Please don't put yourself down.

A revision can be a repair of your first surgery or to a totally different surgery. Hence, a "revised surgery" or revision.

I am a revision patient.  I had my revision from failed RNY to DS in Aug. 2006. 

Good luck to you in doing your research. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/07 11:26 am - Rosiclare, IL
Ty for replying.May i ask  what happened on you RNY that you had to have it done over again?
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/07 10:23 am, edited 3/3/07 10:33 am - TX

Of course! I had staple line disruption which allowed my food to flow through my stomach from my pouch. The day it happened, I didn't put 2 & 2 together, but it was horrible pain and felt like a spring bursting loose. I'd only had coffee to drink that morning, too. I also had stoma enlargement, which made me absolutely starving every 2 hours or so.

Make no mistake:  I did not have my RNY done over.  I had it taken down (restored to it's original configuration) and then the DS done.

Which is why I selected the DS for my revision. I did not want another wl surgery that could and most likely would fail. Now that I have the DS, I couldn't be happier with the differences in the two surgeries. No more dumping, no more vomiting, no food getting "stuck" ability to eat a small meal and still lose, (not 2 oz of soft food that takes a half hour to eat), my pyloric valve is intact, so my stomach empties out normally, not quickly like the enlarged stoma allowed it to, oh heck, I could go on and on....... but you get my drift......IMO, the DS is much easier to live with. I can even eat a cookie or a candy bar on occasion, if I want to.

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/07 11:05 am - Rosiclare, IL
Ty so much again for explaining it to me.I had read up on alot of things,but i guess no one really has the same systoms as everyone else. Im 18 months out and i still dump more so when i eat meat or if it has the slitest sugar in it.Im thinking somethings wrong..I moved after my sugery and its about 3 to 4 hrs from me now..
Angel B.
on 3/13/07 11:48 am - Millville, NJ
I had an open RNY in June of 05.  By November the same year I knew it wasnt working, even though I had lost weight, I could eat ANYTHING.  Even before that I was weary that it wasnt working.  Anyhow it took a long time I found another surgeon who agreed that I should have lost more weight and ordered a lot of tests and insurance issues, but I did get a revision.  Its still an RNY but they made my pouch even smaller and bypassed 4 more feet of intestines.  They actually removed a large amount of my oversized pouch.  It has only been a month so I am not sure yet if its gonna work or not, but I am more hopefull now & do feel different than I did last time.  Good luck with whatever you do.
(deactivated member)
on 3/13/07 12:54 pm - Rosiclare, IL
Ty very much for your info,and reply.Good luck i hope this one works for you..
Most Active