Revisions from VBG open vs. laproscopic???

Tina W.
on 2/21/07 1:56 pm - Everett, WA

I am thinking about a revision from VBG. I have heard that most times revisions are open surgery not laproscopic??? Anyone had a revision from VBG done laproscopicly? My first surgery in April 05 was open... I dread that recovery again.

Mary *.
on 2/24/07 2:08 am - TX
My VBG 1994 was open with a gallbladder removel. I had it converted to RNY with a hiatal hernia repair in nov. 2006. It was done laparoscopically this time with no complications. My surgeon did warn me that he might have to open If I had lots of adhesions. I was lucky. I have no regrets, and the weight is coming off steadily. I have lost 50lbs as of today. Mary
Mary

Tina W.
on 2/24/07 6:51 am - Everett, WA
Mary, Thanks for your response. What were the issues you experienced with the VBG? I am having a hard time eating healthier foods, I am experienceing a lot of gas mostly burping for hours on end after a meal... that's become the main issue as well as not keeping things down. I am afraid to have my intestine cut and with the full blown bypass surgeries... I am in a delema at this point as to what is going to be a better quality of life. Write back I would love to hear from you. Thanks, tina.
Mary *.
on 2/24/07 8:41 am - TX

Tina,

I had problems eating almost any kind of meat with my VBG. As a result, I would eat lots of carbohydrates because they would go down easy and stay down. I learned to eat my way around the VBG without even realizing that I was doing it. By the time I realized why I was gaining, I had put back on most of what I had lost.

I also had problems with gas and burping. I still sometimes have the gas problems, but not as bad. The burping is no longer a problem. Generaly, my food settles better now. I think that is because the silastic ring is gone. Air and food doesn't get trapped like it did before.  You do have to be careful not to eat and drink simultaneously. You are able to eat more if you drink and that defeats the pupose of the pouch and lets the food travel into your intestine to quickly and easily. I feel very satisfied now with much smaller portions than when I had my VBG. I had asked about this procedure when I had my VBG, but at that time, RNY was reserved for very very large individuals that were having immediate health issues.  285 wasn't big enough for RNY. They weren't even doing it laparoscopically back then that I knew about. It had to be done open. Cutting the intestine did not scare me. The morning after my surgery, I was sent to radiology to have a barium swallow to test the pouch and intestinal connection for leaks. I was able to see the fluid pass through the pouch into the intestine on the x-ray. There were no leaks.  I was allowed to have liquids only after my leak test was OK. The day of surgery, I was only allowed to have a very limited amount of ice chips to suck on.  If you follow your post op diet instructions well and stay on liquids until you are released to have softer foods, you should not have any problems related to the intestinal connection.  Are there always risks, yes, but you can also die having your tonsils taken out. It is rare, but it happens. You really need to discuss your fears with your surgeon. Have you met with a surgeon yet, or are you just thinking about if you want to look further into it? Mary

Mary

Debbie B.
on 2/24/07 9:51 am, edited 2/24/07 10:01 am - Valparaiso, IN
Tina back in November of 2006 I was just revised from an Adjustable Gastric Band from way back in 1990 to the DS. I invite you to check out our forum for the Duodenal Switch here on OH. You may find like so many others have that the DS may be a better choice for you. It has the highest statistics for percentage of weight loss and lower regain statistics of any of the WL surgeries, along with no dumping, no stoma obstructions, and no blind stomach. I know I thank God everyday I was led to that forum, I figured if I am going to be cut open again I want the surgery that gives me the best possible chance of losing most all of my excess weight and keeping it off. I'm very happy with my DS, had no complications at all and had a wonderful epidural for pain management so when I woke up from surgery I had no pain at all.  Good luck to you!
                           D e b  
neisha =.
on 3/8/07 10:01 am - shawnee, OK

I had a vertical banding about 11 years ago.  It did not work.  I am going to have a gastric bypass now.  I am searching for a surgeon and very much considering a surgeon in Mexico.  Has anyone done this and do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Neisha

Most Active