Post RNY anatomy ?? and ? re: GOOD BCBS revision surgeon?

BQL
on 2/7/07 12:14 am

Hi, I've been having problems with my RNY (1997) since 6 weeks post-op, when I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted.  My surgeon refused to call me back, and his nurse just said I was "eating too much." Ummm, yeah?  I was only his 10th lap patient, and he just wanted to publish, which he has.  I think something went wrong and he's covering it up. I've always thought my anastomosis was too large, letting the food pass right through, and I just had an upper endoscopy that confirms it.  She said my stomach is still very tiny, but the pylorus is wide open, I have NO duodenal pouch, and my intestines drop straight down from the pouch,when most post RNY patients do have a duodenal pouch and their intestines still curve around from side to side like you always see in the pictures.   First, does anyone know about the biological aspects?  My gastroenterologist said she's done plenty of upper endoscopies on RNY patients and they don't look like this.   Second, I have BCBS and have to use one of their docs if I do get a revision.   I'm really mad about this whole deal. where my original insurance made me go 6 hours away to be a guinea pig for this guy who wanted me to keep driving 6 hours each way for checkups so I could be weighed on the SAME SCALE for his study results.   I'm so frustrated, but glad to have found a place where others have the same problem.  I'm usually good with biology and medical issues, but I just can't think straight when it comes to this surgery.   Can anyone help? I'd be soooooo grateful for advice. Thanks,  Becky

Proud Military Mom
on 2/22/07 9:30 am - Reno, NV
I dont know if I'd be much help to you but I have bcbs and I am having a revision, my new surgeon thinks the pouch is to big even for 2 years out, I found out the other day that they will cover the revision as long as its medically necessary.  I have BCBS federal though and they will pay for about anything.. so the best thing is to find a surgeon that takes your insurance and get the cpt codes and call them to find out if its covered.  I had it written down somewhere but have since lost it.  Good luck!!!

If you can't stand behind the troops... stand in front of them... PLEASE!

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/07 9:09 pm - TX

I, too, had an RNY with both enlarged stoma and staple line disruption.  I also have BCBS and they covered my revision from failed RNY to DS.  Dr. Husted did my surgery and I couldn't be happier with my DS.  No more dumping, no vomiting, better weight loss and better % of people who do not regain.

Good luck to you. 

laineer
on 3/18/07 2:15 pm, edited 3/18/07 2:22 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hi, I have been looking for your post. I am 5 yrs postop rny znd have gained 40 ponds in 7 months. I had an endoscopy from a DS doc in New Orleans. He said no ulcler or hernia and no staple line disruption but I have been having severe stomach pains to  the  point where I couldn,t hardly breathe and now I can eat more than ever and I am hungry all the time. The New orleans doc sd possible colitis irritable bowel syndrome or chrons disease and to get another colonoscopy. He said my pouch was "possibly" larger and that it shouldn't matter that I was NOT transected. I now in my "non-professional" opinion am of the belief that transection is important. I am just so confused about how to proceed. The NO doc sd my insurance would not pay for DS and that post op RNY patients are not good ds candidates and that my BMI is not great enough for them to pay and I would be looking at 20K out of pocket and I am a teacher and am single without that much money sitting around. I have seen a FW doc here in Tx and he sent me to a gastro doc here who has only seen 2 gastric bypass surgery patients so how would he know what to look for on the endoscopy or to detect possible necessity for revision surgery so that's why I went to the NO doc. I'm not saying I want something to be wrong..I just have read that based on my symptoms I don't think my pouch is working right. Only WLs patients understand that our tool is our "lifeline". All of my relatives have died from diabetic comas, heart disease, high blood pressure and all have been morbidly obese.I have been on every possible diet and supplement and my Pouch/tool is the only thing that has helped me. I am so sad tonight and so depressed with all of the uncertainty. I read your letter to the insurance company but would like to have a copy of it. I have had numerous comorbidities and don't want to go back there. I'm tired all the time and have a almost totally inactive thyroid and my internist who is a West Point doc from NY said my thyroid is almost nonexistant and she is slowly increasing my dose.I know this letter is long and tedious but I just need some feed back and support and wisdom from those who have experienced the joy of not having to sweat when walking up stairs or just to get dressed and the lethargy that comes with the life or the lack thereof of obesity related stigmatisms socially and physically. Please write me back at [email protected]. I live i Fort Worth and perhaps you can offer a suggestion or just some kind words or prayers or words of encouragement would be so helpful. Thanks for reading and God bless us all and I pray for all of us who are challenged by these obstacles and are looking for clarity. Looking forward to hearing from you. Lainee PSI have 7 days off constipation followed by non-stop diahhrea for at least 5 days  that leaves me weak and dehydrated. 2 Weeks ago in one day I had 25 episodes of diahrrea.I just wonder if you had these sympoms post op or if anyone else out there ha had similar problems?
bell427
on 3/19/07 12:42 am

Laniee:

I just sent you a private message.

Most Active