DS consultation before RNY surgery

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 1/14/07 3:33 am
I went for a consult with a DS surgeon to find out if I qualified for DS.  I was told by the surgeon (Wm. S. Peters, Peckville, PA)  that there were no added benefits of getting the DS.  The RNY surgery would be just as effective as the DS.  After reading all everyone has to say about their experiences, I have to wonder why he lied to me.  I had my RNY on 3/14/06 at BARIX and have had no complications. My only frustration is these endless plateaus.  I hit a 14 week plateau at 3 mos. out.  I feel as though I lost valuable "tool time".  I was stuck at a 95# loss for 14 weeks.  When the plateau broke I quickly lost 35# within 6 weeks.  Since then I have lost 10# and am pulling teeth to see the scale move.  Its as if the Ice Man froze my scale.  My questions to all of you RNY to DS revision post-opers is this:  Did you constantly plateau after RNY and now you don't Are you ever plateauing now that you have had the revision How long after RNY surgery should you wait to consider having the revision Can you recommend a supportive surgeon who will not pass the buck

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

beth75
on 1/15/07 6:54 am - Brownsboro, AL
I still have plateaus or I just lose slow but I have less to lose than you do and your weight loss does slow down the amount you need to lose decreases.  The DS is suppose to be better for those with higher BMI's because you lose a greater % of weight with the DS than with the RNY.   Why Dr. Peters told you that, I don't know except maybe a professional thing.  I would go ahead and start looking into a revision now If I were you because it can take awhile to actually work everything out.  I don't know how far you want to travel, but I used Dr. Husted at www.paclap.com in San Francisco.  There are other good revision surgeons, going to the DS forum will get you a lot of information.  I've had good results and no complications with my revision but I've had to be patient.  Revisions do lose a little slower than the virgin DSers.  Good luck to you.   Beth
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/07 6:46 am - TX

Nanette, I'm so sorry for your surgeon misleading you.  I was in SF at the same time as Beth and I, too, was a RNY revision.  I don't recall any plateaus, and I lost all my weight with the RNY but the darn thing broke on me with staple line disruption and stoma enlargement and I regained all my weight back, plus some.  How I wish the DS had been around when I had the RNY in 94.  I would have went with the Mercedes of WLS the first time, instead of having had 2 surgeries.

But, it's all good, I've had zero complications and the quality of my post surgery life is wonderful, especially compared to the restrictions the RNY put on me.  I'm losing quickly enough to make me happy and as far as I know, equally to other DS'rs.....so I can't really speak to the plateau question (yet, that is)  If I lose 2 lbs a week, or 10 lbs a month right now, I'm good with that.

Go to www.duodenalswitch.com and look up some surgeons, contact them as far as revisions go.  I know Dr. Gagner in NYC has an excellent reputation. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/07 12:08 am
Hi Nanette, I'm sorry you had issues with Dr. Peters.  I don't know him as anything but honest and straightforward and was very supportive of my decision to pursue the DS. That being said, you want an experienced revision surgeon - I would check out www.duodenalswitch.com for the experience available there. Good luck. Sharon
Most Active