Rev from a SRVG to a RNY

QueenBusyBee
on 11/18/06 10:43 am - Columbia, LA

Hello

I am new here.  I had a SRVG (Silastic Ring Vertical Gastroplasty) in 1995.  I did very well and maintained for 4 years.  I lost 100 lbs and maintained 75 to 80 of it.  However my staple line ruptured in 1998.  My pre-surgery weight was 300 the first time and I am back up to 280.  Has any one had a revision from a SRVG to a RNY.    I am in the process of trying to get all my information together for my insurance company.  All my follow-up records where destroyed when my 1st surgeon retired.  However I am in the process of getting a copy of my OR report from the hospital.  Any tips or comments would be helpful.

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/06 8:41 pm - TX
Maria, I, too, had staple line disruption.  But from the RNY, not the SRVG.  Which is why I had my revision to the DS.  I did not want another surgery that COULD fail mechanically.  I am 3 months out and have no problems with my DS.  I can eat things that I could never tolerate with the RNY (such as steak, chicken, bread) Revisions are more complex surgeries so it's imperative that you find an excellent revision surgeon.  I went to San Francisco to www.paclap.com.  I had BOTH Dr. Husted and Dr. R. Rabkins performing my surgery.  Two of the very best and biggest guns in the WLC. Before you make up your mind on the RNY, please read my profile and check out the DS board and go to www.duodenalswitch.com. Both places would be happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck.  I, too, know the pain of regaining all your weight.  I regained higher than my previous start RNY weight.  How depressing that was.
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/06 7:15 pm - TX
I'm so glad you've found the surgery you want and have found a good surgical team, too.  Please come over to the DS board and ask questions.  Everyone there is super friendly and more than willing to help all they can.
Most Active