When do you looking into revision? 6 mo out now

* Icemama *.
on 9/13/06 9:44 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Hi I am just wondering when its okay to look into having a revision. I am dieting hard and will still continue to exercise and lead a healthier lifestyle but it is obvious that if I eat more than 500 cal per day I will gain weight and or not loose. The only time I have lost any weight is when I take my calories down below 500 or do fasts. The majority of the weight I lost in the past and here after surgery has come as a result of me fasting. Protein drinks only totaling no more than 550 calories. I also have been hungry from day one and have been able to eat much more than I should even though I don't do this alot every now and again maybe once per month ok twice at the most. But I made a commitment. I did not have surgery to wind up still over 200lbs. But I also don't want to starve myself for the rest of my life while I am still incredibly hungry everyday. And, I exercise 4-6 days per week and yes I get at least 72 ounces of water or more and alas take vitamins, prilosec, etc, etc,.. religously. So why do you ask because I recently started eating regular meals again, protein mostly and I am back up to 63lbs lost instead of 67lbs where I was and I am a few days away from being 6 months out. Please don't tell me I am in starvation mode or everone looses at their own rate( I just can't take hearing that again, that's why I'm not on the main board). Also, I wrote down everything I ate and took it with me to my 2 month w/ doc, nut and pysch and agreed I was eating too much I was at 800-1000 cal per day and had only lost 18lbs since surgery, Total 24. when I took it down I lost an add 22-24 in the next couple of weeks. Its just when I eat regular foods I stay hungry all the time so I want to eat more than 500 calories. The surgery never gave me that not hungry thing it was just less hungry. lol Anyway, I am thinking in order to get to where I want to be My pouch may need to be smaller and or maybe a different surgery for me. I am just wondering at what point do I talk to someone about this ie,.. another doctor/surgeon. Now I can continue to starve work way to hard and loose. But I had this surgery to learn another way. A more healthy way. Just think about this If I had not done the extreme white knuckle dieting I'd sill be at 49 or 50lbs and If I had not chose to try the protein train thing last week and a half I'd be down around 75 or 80 by now. What do I do?

Stephanie "Ice Mama"
RNY 3-22-06 292/158/138... Weight Regained =191lbs size12/14                     
 Me

blessed1
on 9/14/06 12:19 am - Pikesville, MD

Hi Stephanie, I am 3 years out, and I can absolutely agree and relate to your situation.  You may need to ask your surgeon to have some test done.  No, I did not reach my goal not by far, however study is showing that a % of young black women are not reaching thier goals and they are requesting and getting revisions, but actually I wouldn't call it a revision I would call it a malfunctions, but of course I don't think a surgeon will admit to a malfunctions voluntarily if you know what I mean.  So I would talk to your surgeon he can give you test to determine your pouch size, stoma size etc.

* Icemama *.
on 9/14/06 5:12 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Thanks alot for the input!, I actually have my 6 month appt coming up next week so I will talk to him about it then.

Stephanie "Ice Mama"
 Me

debrahn
on 9/20/06 9:36 am - Goodyear, AZ
Hi Stephanie, I think I would have another surgeon do tests. You've been going  to the surgeon who did your WLS and he hasn't been helpful - he certainly knows you're not losing. His ego is probably getting in his way of effectively treating you or helping you. I traveled the same road as you for 4 1/2 years before considering revision.  I had my revision 9/12 and the surgeon said I was a mess - he had to completely redo everything. 8 days and I've lost the surgery fluid weight plus anither 9 lbs,
* Icemama *.
on 9/26/06 3:46 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX

Hi thanks for the info. I am having an upgi done this Thursday. I will go from there to see what the results are.

Stephanie "Ice Mama"
 Me

kristiew
on 9/22/06 2:30 pm - WV
you need to see what your pouch and stoma size are?  If your pouch is to big you can feel hungry all the time, eat more, and regain quickly.  If you stoma is to large the food you eat just goes thru to fast to make you feel full, and you eat more and gain weight.  Ask to have your pouch and stoma measured.  Good luck!
* Icemama *.
on 9/26/06 3:47 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Can you have that size measured with an upper gi or do I have to ask for something else?

Stephanie "Ice Mama"
 Me

asumamma1
on 10/4/06 10:07 am - NC
Don't delay---ask either your current doctor or another doctor to perform an Upper GI to make sure that your surgery is intact.  Best wishes coming your way!
crabapple29
on 10/9/06 5:20 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
Hello, I know what you mean about people telling you that everyone loses differently.  I don't know what to tell you to do.  I had my surgery 2/5/05 and I have only lost 85 lbs.  I need to lose another 75 to be where I should be for my height.  I am always hungry and I eat more than I am supposed to eat too.  I have always been hungry though.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong or what I am supposed to do either.  I am looking into a revision but don't know where to start.  I am Florida and I am actually new to the state.  I used to live in NJ which is where I had my surgery.  I don't know of a doctor or how to go aboutt his revision process.  I have Aetna right now for insurance.  If you can help me, please do.  If I find any information I will let you know.  We are both in the same boat!!   Thanks, Candice If you want, email me            [email protected]
Most Active