Revision for scar tissue/ulcer/hernia

KellyB
on 8/17/06 12:54 am - Morrisville, PA
I need some help. I had my RNY in 2/05 and I've lost 130 pounds.and kept it off. But about 6 months out, I started with bi-monthly dilatations for scar tissue. The ulcers started about the same time. After my last dilatation, my NEW GI doc (long story and I won't go into details) found an extremely large hiatal hernia that needs to be surgically repaired. After that, he did some research and found out about the possibility of a steroid injection at the scar tissue site to reduce the chance of it continuously coming back. I had the injection done last month and found out yesterday that it didn't work and that the ulcer is back. He wants me to talk to my bypass doc about a revision. I've also got to have the hernia repaired, but since the two docs don't work out of the same hospitals, I'll probably have to have two separate surgeries. That's the least of my worries. I'm worried that if I have the revision that the scar tissue will STILL be an issue. "sniff: Has anyone had anything similar to this happen? If so, what did you do? Any help would be great - I'm at my wits end.
blessed1
on 8/17/06 1:47 am - Pikesville, MD
Hi Kelly, I am curious what type of pains did you experience, when the Dr. determined you had an ulcer? I had RNY 8/03 and I have been experienceing a pain in my pouch area for the longest, and just recently the pain extended through an area directely under my right side of my breast area, but in the stomach next to my pouch area. I have had UGI, EDG's and a nuclear med test. All these test were don't early in my systems. Nothing was detected, but it is getting worse, and the DOC prescribe me some syrup to take for 2 weeks to see what happens. What you think
KellyB
on 8/17/06 2:27 am - Morrisville, PA
I didn't really have much pain. I was throwing up everything I ate, probably from the stricture. When the old doc did the EGDs that's when he saw the ulcer. What was happening was each time they dilated the stricture, it ripped the healed ulcer open, thus the ulcer has never really had a chance to heal. The only meds the doc gave me for the ulcer were Carafate liquid 4 times a day and Protonix twice a day. They didn't help at all. I'm now on Prevacid SoluTabs cuz the new GI doc feels that the other meds weren't able to help because they couldn't be absorbed due to the surgery. Obviously, though, these aren't helping either. I don't know if this helps you, but I hope it does.
blessed1
on 8/17/06 3:40 am - Pikesville, MD
Same here I am currently taking Carafate 4 times a day, and Prevacid.
mgamine
on 8/25/06 7:12 am - Mesa, AZ

I had RNY 11/5 and have had 4 dilitations since then.  After the 1st one they found an ulcer and put me on Prevacid nightly and carafate (sp?) 4 times a day.  After the 2nd I was told I could stop the carafate, but to keep taking the Prevacid...maybe it will help you.

Was the steroid injection to cease the scar tissue growth or to help heal the ulcer?

I would think it's likely the scar tissue could still be an issue....I don't think our bodies would change how they heal, but I'm not certain.  I'd definitely talk to your surgeon and ask.

chelle

shurwitz
on 8/28/06 5:41 am - Moultrie, GA
I know this is a stupid question, but WHAT is a dilitation?
mgamine
on 8/29/06 1:44 pm - Mesa, AZ
A dilitation is what they call the procedure for stretching you out when they do the EGD.
shurwitz
on 8/29/06 11:19 pm - Moultrie, GA
Thanks!
Most Active