Open revisions only???

heather2006
on 8/9/06 9:36 am - Little Rock, AR
Hello. I had an open vertical banded gastroplasty in 1995 that was unsuccessful, I think, due to early staple line interruption - I never had the restriction that I believed I'd have. I have to have an upper GI to figure out exactly why I didn't lose the weight I thought I'd lose. The little bit of weight I did lose from the initial liquid diet and first few weeks, I gained right back, and then some. Anyway, I am in the process of obtaining approval for a revision to RNY Gastric Bypass. The physicians that I have spoken with so far say that they will have to do an open revision due to possible adhesions/internal scar tissue and the potential for human error. I really do not want to go through another breastbone-to-navel incision, because I am separated from my husband and I have two young children to take care of. A quick recovery would be the best thing for me right now. So I have a poll: how many of you VBG to RNY revision patients had open, and how many laparoscopic surgeries? And did any of you use a doctor in the state of Arkansas? Thanks in advance for your replies.
luckycat1
on 8/9/06 12:53 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I had lap rny. it took much longer due to scar tissue issues (it took about 3 hours) my surgeon cleaned up a lot of the scar tissue from my vbg. good luck on your journey mj
AMYLU
on 8/10/06 12:38 am - Conroe, TX
My surgeon was very well skilled in lap procedures but chooses to do revisions open because of the risks. So my revision from VBG to RNY 6-14-06 was done open, and yes breastbone to navel, it even ended up being a little longer than my original scar. I have to say it was the most painful surgery I have ever had but glad I had it done. Its been 8 weeks and I am down 30 pounds!!! Amy
cocalady
on 8/10/06 11:52 am - Northeast, CT
I had an Open Revision in Dec 2005, and I did have quite a bit of adhesions and scar tissue. I ended up with a drain in my stomach for a couple of weeks to help the healing on the inside. I was out of work for 6 weeks and I needed all that time to recooperate. My first surgery scar is vertical, however this one is horizontal and about 8 inches long ...I was in pain for about the first 2 weeks and it slowly got better. I would recommend assistance with your 2 children when you have your surgery. I have lost 80 lbs and I am happy, although the weight loss has seem to have stopped. I have been at the same weight for over a month! Best of luck on your endeavor. Laura R
heather2006
on 8/10/06 12:05 pm - Little Rock, AR
Thank you all for replying. I guess it is fairly standard for the revision to be open. I had been hoping for laparoscopic surgery, since my gallbladder was removed lap & it was a piece of cake, but the more I think about it, I'm probably better off with an open incision, so that the physician can visualize my anatomy better. I will take the advice and get some care for my kids during this time. Thanks again!
nattitude
on 8/10/06 4:03 pm - Houston, TX
I had an open VBG so I had no choice but to have an open RNY - I went to a Christmas party two days after I left the hospital. They put a binder on me and I was fine. Walk Walk Walk......please think about an DS. Unlike the unmodified BPD and RNY, which both employ a gastric "pouch" and bypass the pyloric valve, the DS procedure keeps the pyloric valve intact. This eliminates the possibility of dumping syndrome, marginal ulcers, stoma closures and blockages, all of which can occur after other gastric bypass procedures. I have marginal ulcers and had my vagus nerve cut and now I am gaining weight yet again and so I am having a ds. I am still 100 pounds lighter than what I was but I gained an addtional 55 pounds (total 155) but I am a size 18 again. *sigh* Everyone is differant do what is right for you.
heather2006
on 8/11/06 5:11 am - Little Rock, AR
Thanks for your reply. I have researched on the DS, but unfortunately, there are no doctors in my area that do it, and even if there were, my insurance will not cover DS. So I guess it is RNY for me. I'm just going to pray for the best outcome, and work as hard as I can to make sure that I do everything to make the surgery a successful one. If this one doesn't work, I will have to be heavy, because this the final surgery for me. I hate to hear that you've gone through so much, but it's good that you're catching it before it gets more out of hand. It really is a terrible situation that we all are in with the yo-yoing up and down, up and down...it is very diffiult to deal with mentally. For me, the look of shock and thinly veiled disgust on someone's face when they see you and you've gained the weight back that you lost, that's the worst. Or the "you have such a pretty face" comment...whoever thought that was a compliment has never heard it personally, I'm sure! I wish "normal" weight people could understand what it's like to deal with having these issues. They don't know what it's like to have to think critically about every thing you eat, every day. I hope the DS works for you. I will be thinking about you.
Christine X.
on 8/25/06 5:36 am - TX
If traveiling for surgery is possible, some surgeons will classify the surgery to ds as revision. The code doesn't specify to what sometimes. Anyway, it might be worth traveling.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch

deborahcoley
on 9/5/06 12:26 pm - San Antonio, TX
Who is the dr doing your DS?  I am in San Antonio and I see you're in Houston.  I  can't find a dr to do a RNY 2nd revision to a DS.....I just had an RNY revision on 7/11 and have only lost 19 pounds total despite exercise and good eating habits.  Everyone tells me I should have done a DS, but my surgeon never mentioned it and I didn't find this board until it was too late :(  Any info you can share is appreciated.
Most Active