Would this help in my quest for a revision?

reedu2
on 8/9/06 3:11 am - MS
I recently has a upper gi series and it said: The patient was able to swallow barium w/o difficulty and under fluroscopic observation no intrinsic abnormalities of the upper thirds of the esophagus could be identified. At fluoroscopy on subsequent films a moderate size sliding type hiatal hernia was noted. Barium flowed freely into the gastric pouch. There is a small gastric pouch in this patient who has had previous bariatric surgery. There is ready emptying from the gastric pouch into the small bowel. At the time of the examination, very prominent reflux was identified with reflux all the way to the upper third of the esophagus. No marginal ulceration could be identified. Many thanks for your response.
debrahn
on 8/10/06 4:41 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Jo Ann, Yes, I think that will be helpful - the part on the reflux. You'll need an endoscope to determine if stoma (opening) is too large. Don't worry about the endoscope - it's a piece a cake and they put you to sleep - only takes about 10 minutes. Read my profile - it may answer some of your questions. Good Luck! Debbie
reedu2
on 8/11/06 6:10 am - MS
Debbie, Thank you soooo much! Your reponse and profile gave me enough encouragement to continue on with this. I have been so fustrated and confused over what step to take next. The reason is the center I used in Biloxi MS for my original rny is know closed due to the damage received from Hurricane Katrina, my surgeon is know practicing in another state (VA). My insurance company now requires patients to use a "center of excellence" as deemed by United Resources, this mean having to travel to GA, TX, LA or AZ (which are the closes state to me) when it's time for surgery. My main focus now is to get the edg completed to see if there are any mechanical failures, but do I need to select a surgeon first to have him order the test, or will the gastro doctor here be familiar enough with bariatric to know what to look for? Thanks again, I'm trying to hang in there!! Jo Ann
debrahn
on 8/11/06 6:41 am - Goodyear, AZ
Jo Ann, My guess would be that a bariatric surgeon would need to do the endoscope. However, pictures are taken so maybe a gastro doctor there could do it. I would suggest contacting Kelly Hughes, RN, at Bridges (center of excellence) here in AZ to discuss how things work with out-of-state patients. She's the Director and you'll get a quick response. The doctors - Dr.Juarez and Dr. Fang are fantastic - very compassionate and very skillful. They're also very busy, but they're worth waiting for. Here's her email and phone #800-248-5553: '[email protected]' Best of luc****ep me posted. Debbie
reedu2
on 8/11/06 7:07 am - MS
Thanks again Debbie, you are really easing my mind. Will keep you posted. Jo Ann
Most Active