Revision from VBG to bypass rny

Dawn K.
on 8/8/06 6:45 am - Clermont, FL
Hello all, I was just wanting some advise or comments on my situation. Fisrt of all I had a vbg in Nov., 2000 had a tummy tuck in sept, 2002. All has went well I went from 305 to 278 day of surgery then after vbg surgery went to 161 then after tummy tuck to 151. Well I got married in Aug, 2003 and moved to florida in january 2004 since I have been here I have not been able to go see my surgeon till this past June, because I was going to talk to him about getting my legs done and well to make this long story short I found out I have a stapleline breakdown, I have gained 30 pounds in the time I have been here in florida, I have however maintained the 205 I am at now since january which my surgeon told me is 1 in 500 people who can do that. I told hime yes, but I really knwo what I am putting in my mouth and have to fight to keep it at this weight I can't lose anything, I work out at curves also 4-5 times a week. My big question is my surgeon who now I found out is not covered under my insurance but went to him and now found a new surgeon who also says revision to rny/bypass. I am scared and not sure if I should go through all this to lose like 40 pounds, I then think ok yes I want to do this and I know I should, the struggle with trying to keep anything I put in my mouth is very hard,depressing and makes me sick sometimes to eat becaus ei feel I will gain weight. Please help with suggestions, should i go through with the rny or what????Thanks and sorry so long. Blessings to all. Dawn K.
debbie F.
on 9/3/06 4:08 am - keene, NH
hi dawn,I am replying to your post to tell you that 21 yrs ago I had vbg and over the yrs have gained all my weight back plus some extra I have found along the way,atthe time of my wls I was 247,today I am 262.so in july of this yr I went to see a surgeon about having the rny and was told I might not be able to have it cuz of what was done 21 yrs ago,and he mentioned vsg and thought that might be better for me,well I have done alot of research on it and have decied that is what I am going to have done.I guess cuz it will be a revision that I will run a greater risk of leaks in the staple lines but I am ready to do it,go for the gold so to speak,so I will end with this,you need to do whats in your heart ,sure 40 lbs. is not a whole lot of weight but if you want to do it then go for.I wish you luck and I am sure you will be just fine.                                                  debbie
rollincndo
on 9/20/06 9:28 am - Centennial, CO
Hi Dawn, Im Carla Klein, I had a VBG in 1985 and I also had a revision to a RNY om February of 02. I live in Centennial colorado. It took me 16 years th find a Dr to perform a revision. I sure am glad I did. I do had Staple line disruption. I didnt know I had it. I just thought It was a failure. I gained all my weight back and some. I just chalked it up to failure and depression. I was getting sicker by the day and I finally had enough. If I didnt have the revision I would be 400 pounds by now and 5 feet under. I am now down to 143 on a good day and am maintaing at that weight. I am a cosmetology graduate in 13 days and am very happy. If your insurance will let you my dr is great. He is Dr Richard Tillquist in Englewood Colorado. My surgery was 8 hrs but well worth the effort. I am a new person today. I am 51 years young and very happy. Carla Klein 
mugsy_h
on 9/23/06 2:24 pm - pendleton, OR

Hi Carla,

My name is Margaret,  I live in Pendleton oregon,  and had vbg in 1985 also,  wow  it was so good to read your story,  you see  I weighed 256 when I had it done, reagained all my weight plus to 268.... I will be 59 next May.   I found a Dr. with wonderful credentials in Federal Way Washington,  and the hospital is well traiined and staffed for WLS....

I am scared to death,  when I read about the risks of revision it scares me even more.  

Why was your surgery 8 hours???? were their complications...

my:  [email protected]

would love to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Margaret

Most Active