Update: Endo Revision Worthless!

snazzytoes88
on 8/2/06 7:18 am - woburn, MA
Hi... I had the endoscopic revision about 2 months ago in Boston and I feel almost nooooo difference at all!! Very disappointing, considering how long I waited and what I went through afterward. Dr. Thompson DOES NOT make your pouch smaller, just the anastomosis (opening from stomach to intestines). The tiny difference I do feel now is that I feel full a little longer. That's nice, but NOWHERE NEAR what I thought it would be! The nurse "admitted" to me, on the way into the operating room, that he doesn't do anything to the pouch, just the stoma, because "it doesn't give better results" to make the pouch smaller anyway. HUH? I thought that was THE WHOLE POINT!! So anyway, I had lost about 15 pounds at first merely because I hadn't eaten anything (except sips of yucky protein drinks) for 8 days straight. That landed me in the emergency room, where they took x-rays and told me that the intense stomach pain I was feeling was because I was starving! So I ate. Crackers, little bits of safe foods. After about 2 days, I was back to "normal," WHICH MEANS BACK TO MY OLD, HORRIBLY FOOD-ADDICTED SELF!!! So I am not pleased with this procedure. I havan't lost any more weight... in fact, I'm pretty sure I gained most of the 15 back already. How lovely. I hate to disillusion all of you waiting for Endoscopic Gastric Bypass Revision at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, but those are the facts. Maybe everyone else has had wonderful success, but I haven't heard of them. My friend had the same procedure 2 weeks before me and she reports exactly the same thing. Sorry!!
ICANDOTHIS W.
on 8/2/06 8:57 pm - BEAR, DE
j
fradycat007
on 8/4/06 7:49 am - MEMPHIS, TN
Thank you veronica so much for being so HONEST. I haven't confirmed my flight from Memphis to Boston yet. I am not sure if I am going to do the endoscopic repair. I haven't heard a success story from this...Thanks again Karen Mason
sweetpea1965
on 8/4/06 8:02 pm - Denver, IN
(((((Veronica))))) Thanks for giving your input on this procedure. I had recently heard about it and was just starting to research. I don't know what options I have if any. Daniele
WJ
on 8/4/06 10:05 pm - Miami Beach, FL
I've been all set to jump upon this procedure and your experience gave me a pause. Since I'd have to self-pay (8,000-9,000) and there's no documentation of a definitive outcome or the lifespan of this repair I've begun to research Self-pay Revision options. I don't want to go through the emotional failure of another procedure as you must be going through now! I'm considering the DS in Brazil or Mexico (11,000-15,000). Keep us posted if you see any improvement - I think all of us are looking for a way to make our "tool" more efficient again! Wendy
sopralto
on 8/10/06 4:39 pm - WA
I had made an appt with Dr. Thompson for Nov. and cancelled in July because I decided to have an RNY to DS revision. Seemed like the cost of the endoscopic repair was around $8000, my insurance wouldn't pay and my revision will cost $11,000 plus airfare, etc. I'm glad now hearing your experience that I made that decision. Bless you for being the test case! Pioneers never had it easy.
WJ
on 8/10/06 10:24 pm - Miami Beach, FL
Hi Kathy, It seems as though you and I are thinking alike! When you look at the costs and the outcome, the DS is the best route. Who's doing you DS revision? Thanks, Wendy
sopralto
on 8/11/06 1:36 pm - WA
It was an odd decision for me. I had the RNY in 1992 and only lost 70lbs then regained 80. 3 years ago I decided enough! I lost 65lbs with South Beach diet and 2 hours a day exercise. Over the last year gained back 40 as my joints protested all the wonderful exercise. As my 17 yo daughter passed 300lbs we decided to find the WLS for her. A bariatric surgeon said lap band not good choice for her, RNY was recommended. But after my failure and her research, she was not keen to go this route--she felt the DS has better quality of life eating-wise. I believe this is an individual decision. Which side effects can you live with? I made the appt with Thompson, qualified for my HMO's program (which only does RNY) and investigated DS for my daughter. So I covered all the bases. We finally decided both of us would go to Marchesini in Brazil. Drs. Rabkin in San Fran would charge $30,000 for her DS and $32,000 for my revision. We are planning on $27,000 for the both of us with Marchesini, including airfare, hotel, meals, souveneirs, etc. I am impressed with his credentials, his happy customers and his guarantee that if a complication occurs, 2 weeks in the hospital and his services are included at not extra charge. My primary MD has ordered our pre op testing, saving some money. Dr Marchesini has a procedure to change an RNY to DS without rebuilding the stomache, it is less risky than what many DS surgeons do, which is reconnect the stomach to the pouch and build a dS from there. I didn't feel I needed that done and am happy with a lower risk procedure. I've posted on Dr. Marchesini's website and have heard from several people who had this done and have lost all/nearly all their excess weight. One lady had her pouch made smaller and a silastic ring put on the bottom to prevent stretching. No doubt what is done to the pouch is discussed with the surgeon based on one's eating habits, amount of weight to lose, etc. Hope this helps I have one month to go!
WJ
on 8/11/06 8:27 pm - Miami Beach, FL
Kathy, Thanks for the update! When I had my Lap RNY in 1999, it was the superstar of weight loss surgery and the "DS" was for the "super morbidly obese". The stigma was the "odors and smells" whereas the LAP RNY was marketed as an easy fix all. At this stage, I can diet and exercise to lose weight ( I'm killing myself doing 8 Cardio's a week), but it will come right back on just like back in the old days. I've researched Dr. M in Brazil and am waiting to hear back from him (he sounds very experienced and you can't beat the price if you're self pay! ), I've also contacted Dr. Gagner and Dr. Rabkin - I think they round out the top 3 of the top 5 doing revisions. It seems as though most of them will leave our "pouch" alone and reroute the intestines. I'm just glad that we have an option and that there are enough experienced Surgeons that can provide us with a full functioning tool.
shurwitz
on 8/22/06 7:27 am - Moultrie, GA

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time. Your post was insightful though. I think I may have had something similar. On 8/21, I went in for an endoscopy, and my surgeon said he would inject my stoma to make it smaller if he thought it would help. Well, he did, and I can't really tell any difference, other than feeling fuller longer, as you mentioned. You think maybe I had the same procedure? Anyway, needless to say, this was NOT what I had in mind.

Steven

Most Active