Revision.....six months supervised diet

reedu2
on 5/31/06 2:49 am - MS
Has anyone been required to have a 6 months doctor's supverised weight loss diet when seeking a revision? I submitted a request to my insurance to have a revision to my original RNY (Oct 2001). I was told I need a psychological evaluation and nutritional counseling. After completing these requirements, I was told a need a six month supervised diet. Many thanks for your response.
Marilyn J.
on 5/31/06 3:07 am - Bloomfield, NE
Jo Ann R I had the lap-band done in dec of 04 my dr. suggested that I have a revision . could you please tell me what kind of problems did you have with the RNY ? and Also what type of revision were you thinking about having. I hope we don't need to go thur that evaluation. Marilyn
reedu2
on 5/31/06 4:33 am - MS
Marilyn, I had a proximal without any problems (just not losing enough weight). My beginning weight was 313lbs at 5"1, my lowest weight after surgery was 240lbs. I have since regained 20lbs. (todays weight 260lbs). I want to go more distal to reach my goal of 140lbs. Thanks for your response.
RobinH
on 5/31/06 11:35 am - Mustang, OK
Hi, I had a revision fom a VBG to a distal RNY on April 24, 2006. I have Cigna and I had to have the 6 month diet. I tried to get around it and it didn't work. I was finally approved after I completed the 6 months and a second level appeal. I don't know who your insurance is but I bet you will have to do it. I also had to have the Pysh eval and Nutritional eval. Good Luck!!! By the way, I have lost 28 pounds in 1 month!!! Robin
Jo Ann
on 6/3/06 11:50 am - Orlando, FL
I had the lap band done in July of 05 and I just had the RNY done on 31st of May 06, I didn't have to go for any tests or counseling or anything like that again. I guess it just depends on what your insurance company wants or requires. Don't give up and fight for what you deserve!!!! Good luck to you!! Jo Ann P.S. I saw your name for your sign in and mine is the same!! I thought that was pretty funny!!!
~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/7/06 6:17 am - Jacksonville, FL
I just found out that I need to do a 6 month diet. What's the point, people?? Do you want diets to suddenly work after they haven't in 37 years??? If I do lose weight and drop below a BMI of 40, then am I no longer elligible?
reedu2
on 6/7/06 7:17 am - MS
Hi Sami, You're right!! What is the point? Are you having a revision also? I know many insurance companies require a 6 month supervisor diet prior to your first surgery, but never did I imagine it being required for a revision. I am now waiting on my medical records (doctors notes) to forward to my insurance company. The clinical nurse handling my case told me I could have my pcp doctor to write a letter stating I have been following the bariatric diet and the reviewer might accept it since the clinic I used in Biloxi is know closed. I hope this will work. Wish me luck.
kam
on 6/7/06 7:45 am - Warren, MI
I was just told my insurance requires a 12 consecutive month supervised diet. I have been trying 1-1/2 and nothing happens. I did see a nutritionist several times and she referred me on to a gyn for hormone problems. I do not know if that time will count or not.?? I hope my surgeon and her can work it out I have been dieting and following our plan this entire time--but will the insurance company accept that.? By the way I have Community Blue PPO Anyone have this insurance? for Revision. from rny proximal to distal.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/7/06 7:48 am - Jacksonville, FL
Good luck Yes, I'm a revision... or a hopeful revision person. I wonder if having a Lap-Band for 5 years and getting regular fills qualifies? I also saw a nutritiionist twice. It's sooo annoying. So like, let's say you do drop to a BMI of 37... and then 4 months later you're back up. Is it time for another 6 month diet?? Sigh. I hate hate hate insurance companies.
debrahn
on 6/23/06 3:10 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Jo Ann, Sounds like your insurance company may be giving you the run around. See my reply to "revision BMI under 40???" Debbie
Most Active