I Have A Gastrogastric Fistula

SkyedancerIII
on 5/30/06 1:33 am - Mesquite, TX
Well I finally know why I have been gaining weight despite my obssessive compulsion with eating right and exercising. I have a gastrogastric fistula. What is that ????? Let me tell ya.. I AM LEAKING!!!!!! A fistula is an abnormal connection between an organ, vessel or intestine that results from trauma or surgery. In gastric bypass the separation of the gastric pouch from the main stomach decreases the incidence of fistula formation and stomal ulcer but does not eliminate it. Leakage of ingested food through the fistula may allow the small pouch to empty faster, leading to increased volume of meals and increased appetite. Patients stop losing weight or begin regaining weight. Surgical intervention may be necessary to correct the fistula. I will be four years post op lap rnygb in two weeks and have the worst luck. I did not know I could have complications this far out, but leave it to me to go through the oddities in this world. The only reason I found out was my job was ending and I was not going to have insurance anymore so I requested a barium swallow to follow up and see if my stuff was intact. Imagine if I was still working..I never would have requested this test and I would have gained 158 pounds versus the 20 I have gained. I would like for anyone who has had this and got revised through surgery to contact me and share your story. Thank you.
smileey
on 5/31/06 10:26 am - FL
Unfortunately this is a very common problem. I had this problem and a surgeon who could not fix it correctly. Its a simple thing for an experienced revision surgeon but requires surgery. A knowledgeable experienced surgeon can close off the fistula or remove it depending upon size and location. Make sure you find a surgeon that has MANY of these type surgeries under his/her belt. Hope this helps a bit. CW
smileey
on 6/1/06 4:34 am - FL
Please let me know how you are doing when you are able. I hope you are doing better. Cindi
(deactivated member)
on 6/1/06 6:08 pm - Yakima, WA
Wow Teena! I'm really REALLY sorry to hear this, but sure am glad you caught it! What luck...really! (((HUGS))) and prayers for you! ~Tooter
Amy Williams
on 6/2/06 2:27 am
Teena, I'm so sorry that you are having a hard time with everything. We've missed you around here. I hope you are able to find an answer soon. Many prayers. Amy
dawn1234
on 6/4/06 12:05 am
HI Teena, I had a fistula form post op from my revision due to complications. I would highly recommend that you ask your surgeon to transect your stomach during the revision. This seems to help prevent the possibility of another SLD and fistula reforming later....which can happen again over time. Wish you the best.....and remember complications can happen at anytime. I have heard stories of bowel obstructions years out from surgery. Hugs, Dawn
ohmysharlenea
on 6/5/06 7:27 am - Kamiah, ID
How do you know? WHat other signs are there? I have been starting to gain again too....five years out, and I don't eat all that much.....and I constantly have to poop.....and have terrible gas...could this be the problem?????
Pat R.
on 7/30/07 3:30 am - Leander, TX
HI!  I know it has been a LONG time since you posted this particular message, but I found it when I Googled "gastrogastric fistula".  I have been diagnosed with one; I have had three serious bouts with ulcers since my RNY gastric bypass in 2003 (two perforated, one severe bleeding).  I have just recently found out about the fistula, and wondered if it could be contributing to the ulcers in my pouch (acid transversing the fistula).  I have returned to my original bypass surgeon and he has told me he can operate and close the fistula, but depending on how much scar tissue (from all the ulcer procedures and surgeries) I might lose 1/2 of old stomach or even my spleen.  Did you have your fistula repaired?  If so, how did it go?  I would love to know more. Thanks, Pat
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/07 6:18 am - TX

I had one, too.  But when all the surgeons I went to tried to talk me into "fixing" it, I questioned them what makes them think it wouldn't happen again?  No thank you........ I wanted a revision to the DS, so I found the best DS revision surgeons I could and the rest is history.  I'm 11 months out and 4 lbs from goal but best of all, the quality of my life as to what and how I can eat is exceptional.  No dumping, no vomiting, no food getting "stuck" and NOTHING WITH THE DS THAT CAN MECHANICALLY FAIL.

I also had stoma enlargement.

Come to the DS forum and read about the wonderful DS and how happy everyone is with theirs, whether or not they are revisions from RNY, Band or first time WLP.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS

Most Active