Revision more risk than WLS???

Sarahlicious
on 5/22/06 1:20 am - Portsmouth, OH
Are there more risk to a revision than there was to having the original WLS? My surgeon told me I really needed to think about whether or not I wanted the revision when I had my hernia repaired because there a lot of risks. But I asked her isn't it more risk to my health being 270lbs for life? She actually said maybe not. But to me there are people who take the risk of having WLS who start out weighing 270lbs...so if I'm already going to be having surgery why not have her do the revision why she is in there. Sarah
smileey
on 5/22/06 10:47 pm - FL
Hi, I know just about everyone says its higher risk. In my opinion, given all of the surgeries I have undergone, I truly believe it all has to do with the surgeon's experience, especially with revisional surgery which typically takes much longer and can be more complicated due to the large amounts of scar tissue and adhesions that are usually present and have to be removed before proceeding. Just make sure your surgeon has had extensive experience with revisions and if that is the case it shouldn't really be any riskier than any other surgery you would have to go through. If your surgeon's experience is minimal I would look to find a high volume revision surgeon with 1000 revisions under his/her belt. Just my opinon, hope this helps. Cindi
Most Active