Lap Band Red Zone X-post

Stephanie M.
on 6/7/12 12:51 am

You hear a lot about the Green Zone (sweet spot, optimal restriction) with gastric bands, the yellow zone (lap band hell, unrestricted) and sometimes being too tight (RED ZONE).  The reason I'm bringing this up is to talk about the Red Zone and not being "over-filled".  If you are having the symptoms described under "Reduce Fluid" and you have had your fluid removed, it is important to follow up with your bariatric surgeon to determine what is happening with your band.  Many people who have been banded for 2 years or more are experiencing random tightening of their bands without additional fill or after a complete unfill.  

http://www.drdkim.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/fill-scale4.jpg

In addition, other random and seemingly unrelated (to gastric banding) symptoms have been reported by members of OH (www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/discussion/ ) such as palpitations, dizziness, back pain, reflux, etc. 

I have been at the same fill level for 15 months and have been experiencing some of these symptoms.  I have been through a slew of cardiac testing and my heart is fine.  My cardiologist and my PCP feel that my issues are gastric and I am going to my regular gastroenterologist for evaluation (don't want my band doc involved at this point) of my symptoms.

The reason for my posting is that these symptoms have been going on for months and I attributed it to stress (dealing with FIL's death and estate away from home for 5 months) and didn't seek out help.  Waiting to get symptoms evaluated can only lead to damage to internal organs if the symptoms are due to our bands.  Don't wait and don't let the doctor tell you that you're not following "the rules". 

Many folks have debilitating symptoms such as the ones I describe above, and they have followed all the rules...

This post is purely informational and intended to raise awareness that if your band is too tight or you are experiencing red-zone symptoms without fill, you need to seek medical attention promptly and persistently.

Thanks for reading...

Steph M

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Tom C.
on 6/7/12 4:35 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Thanks for this!!! I know it's was very helpful for me!!

APPRECIATE IT!!!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active