Unable to do core/ ab exercises bc of port.... Anyone?

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/14/12 10:27 pm - Alexandria, VA
 Hi, I was hoping to hear from other ppl dealing with this to hear what they did...

I recently returned to the gym and when doing crunches I felt the port kind of tug... Later that day it hurt and was sore for a few days after..so I called my surgeon's office and was told that's not uncommon and that it was the abdominal muscles pulling against the stitches for the port... I am 2 years post- op so I asked what I could do to mitigate that, are there other exercises I can do to still work my core ?  I was told no, it will never stop happening and I should just avoid abdominal exercises period. Forever. 

What?!

I am sooooo unhappy about this. Before surgery I was told I could still do Pilates, crunches, rtc with the band and I feel lied to.

Anyone else experience this tugging when exercising? How do you cope? Have you found abdominal workouts you can do that don't bother the port? Thanks!
thomheat
on 4/15/12 2:47 am - TN
 I am almost two months postop with the realize band and at this time I have no trouble doing crunches, zumba, or any exercises at the gym. The first four weeks I was sore, no doubt, but as I got back to my workouts the tightness lessened and I have not had problems since.
If you're having pain, I recommend finding a physician who cares that you are unable to exercise comfortably. I am sure the more you get back into your workouts the tugging will subside.
  Heather, Realize Band, 2/24/12
 297/268
 HW/CW
Currently 4cc

Hislady
on 4/15/12 10:33 am - Vancouver, WA

It sounds like it may have been stitched too tightly. At 2 yrs out you shouldn't still be having the pulling sensation, that usually goes away in a few months. I'd talk to your surgeon again and see if he can't go in and restitch it looser. They might even be able to do it in office, not sure how involved it is but it sure beats not being able to do the exercise you love.

starstruck
on 4/15/12 2:50 pm - MN
Hello,
About 6 weeks after my surgery I started my excersise regimen and the first thing I felt was that pinch tugging feeling in my port site. I did not pay attention to it but whe I saw the doctor she put me on a restriction ( (no ab work)) So yes I am one of those that will not be able to do any crunches or abdominal work
 hope that you will find a solution to this madness. perhaps it may get better with time. Keep a happy face....
Tom C.
on 4/16/12 6:43 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I am over 4 years out, and never had this problem.

While I don't think it's anything, I WOULD suggest going in and talking to the Doctor, and maybe get an xray. What you are feeling may NOT be the PORT but something else.

Good luck, and know we're here for you!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 4/16/12 4:27 pm - Duluth, MN
I am a year out. I was only told not to do ab exercises for 6 weeks..I have no problem with them...I agree with Tom, it would not hurt to get it checked out...good luck!

~Kim~

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/16/12 9:23 pm - Alexandria, VA
Thanks everyone. Yes, it is being checked out ( I live several states away from
My surgeon so I am in the process of getting in to a new surgeon's practice-- not easy with my insurance and many surgeons refusing to do follow up with patients who have already had the surgery from another surgeon)... My surgeon's office said I need an ultrasound to make sure all the stitches are still there, but was pretty confident that it's just muscles tugging against the port's stitches-- causing bruising and bleeding under the surface, which is the pain and soreness I am feeling.

They said this happens pretty often and no amount of exercise or working through the pain will stop it-- infact continuing the exercise could rip one of the stitches... :/
Most Active