Documenting Weight Loss for Insurance?

going4thegoal
on 2/3/12 3:29 am
My insurance requires i have documents to prove I have tried diet and excerise.  I have been on the Akins diet, and Weigh****chers Online. I have also done my own diet and excerise, How do I show/document proof that i have done this to my insurance company?
Hislady
on 2/3/12 9:37 am - Vancouver, WA
You would need to ask them what in particular they are looking for. However with that said as a rule they are looking for a doctor supervised weight loss attempt. Myself I had to do a 6 mos. diet attempt where I saw my PCP once a month to discuss what I had been doing, look at my food journal, weigh in and discuss any changes to make. So you will need to find out if what you have will satisfy them or if you will have to do something more supervised. Good luck to you!
going4thegoal
on 2/4/12 1:39 am
Thank you, I have made an appointment with my PCP and i hope she is understanding and see what she will have to say! Would there be any changes if you do happen to lose weight with a supervised diet?
Hislady
on 2/4/12 9:36 am - Vancouver, WA
I think most insurance companies go by your highest weight but they may start the count from when you see the surgeon, so another thing you should ask them, when do they start the count. If it starts when you see the surgeon just don't lose too much during the PCP diet. I didn't have anything to worry about cause I was waaaay over weight.
going4thegoal
on 2/6/12 5:02 am
I called the surgery center today and i have to go on a 12 month diet and lose atleast one pound a month and keep it off. It seems really silly for 12 months I have to do that for. I also have to attend a required info session on the surgery. Also she is sending me a packet so I can start this diet right away, and some information I need to ask my insurance company. I am 150 pounds overweight myself, and they should atleast consider this into the lengh of diet! But I heard the time goes by fast, I just hope I can maintain to keep the weight off for this period! Thanks for your information!
Hislady
on 2/6/12 10:11 am - Vancouver, WA
It's really a good thing that they are having you go thru all this in the long run. So many people come here and don't have a clue what they are doing. Use the time to practice eating slowly, chewing and taking bites the size of an M&M. The more that is already a habit the easier it is. Also practice eating without drinking until a half hour after you eat. You'll be there before you know it!
Most Active