Thinking about Realize or "other" Band - HELP!

CelticNomad
on 1/24/12 10:31 pm
Hello,

First, Hello to everyone. These boards look like they have a bunch of great people on them!
I am aprox 100lbs overweight.... and thinking about lapband.

Have not had surgery and I have an appointment on Thu for my Physical. I have been researching the different types of "bands" but would appreciate some feedback on personal experiences with both.

Can you Feel the band when you move, exercise?
How Long before you started losing weight, I am 290, would like to know what I can expect to lose 1st month, then monthly (following rigor of post surgery diet etc)?
What foods can you definately...NEVER Eat Again?
Anyone ever get stopped at Airport/Cruise when getting scanned/wanded (do you carry card from Dr about having band)?

Any information is helpful, again I am gathering information from MANY sources, so please help me gather more, to help me, make my decision.

I want to lose 100lbs total. I have type II Diabetes.....etc...
I do like to exercise and have knowledge of HOW I should be eating.

Thanks,

Damon
Ashley A.
on 1/25/12 4:24 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12

Hi Damon,

Welcome to the board,

Can you Feel the band when you move, exercise?
I can't feel the band at all, I can find and feel the port if I'm looking for it, but when it comes to daily exercise I can't feel it.
How Long before you started losing weight, I am 290, would like to know what I can expect to lose 1st month, then monthly (following rigor of post surgery diet etc)?
Everyone is different when it comes to losing weight, there isn't a set amount anyone can tell you. They normally say if you are losing 2 lbs per week you are in the green zone. I lost weight faster than the average band patient due to my size. I weighed 454 lbs going in to surgery, and lost around 35 lbs the first month.
What foods can you definately...NEVER Eat Again?
I try to avoid bread, pasta, any type of food similar to that as much as possible. Some bandsters can eat these with no problems, others can't. I probably could if I really wanted to but those aren't really foods we should be eating anyways.
Anyone ever get stopped at Airport/Cruise when getting scanned/wanded (do you carry card from Dr about having band)?
The band isn't anything that will set the detectors off, I have went through metal detecotors and had MRI/CT Scans done many times since being banded without a problem. I do keep a realize band card in my wallet, I have never has to use it, but I guess it's good to have just in case of an emergency.

There isn't a really a difference between the 2 bands, they just have different manufacturers. I actually thought I had the lapband until I went to my first post-op appt, then I was told I had the realize band. Good Luck with your appointment and your WLS journey, with whichever surgery you choose!

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

CelticNomad
on 1/25/12 5:50 am
 Thanks!
Kim H.
on 1/25/12 2:37 pm - Duluth, MN
My surgeon only does the REALIZE BAND. Different from the "lapband"...it is like lapband is a brand name that people just call the band , much like koolaid, jello, bandaid, kleenex. Also, according to my Doc, the Realize Band is stronger and thicker and has a smaller chance of slippage. Almost like "new and improved" lapband. I hope I am giving correct information, but this is what I understand.

~Kim~

Most Active