Anyone had allegen band replaced w/Realize?

technofamily
on 12/15/11 9:48 am - upstate area, SC
Hi all,

I am looking for some input, advice and thoughts. I have had an allegen band  (4 cc) since 2006 and lost 70 lbs.  I had a piece of chicken get stuck in 2009 and had a complete unfill and since then it has never been right.  I moved to Florida and felt like I had no fill.  Finally, I have been told I have been told I have a leak.   My new doctor strongly suggested going with a sleeve he said that with the Realize band I won't have the same sensation of fullness.  He said the 4cc band was pressurized as opposed to the Realize so I won't feel the full stop.  He said there is no vomiting when you overeat (not  that isn't a plus)

I want to know if anyone has switched over from the Allegan band to Relize  band and what was your experience.  

I would also like to hear from you regarding what your stop sign is?  Do you feel so full you know not to take another bite?

Thank you so much
Miriam
Mell
on 12/16/11 1:58 am
Funny I have a lap band I just talked to my Doctor yesterday during my fill about the difference. I also had to have it replaced and had a hard time finding a doc who uses the LapBand. He told me he did not like the construction of the Realize band that when it is filled it seems to widen the balloon not push outward so the restriction is not the same.
Good luck!
Hislady
on 12/16/11 8:51 am - Vancouver, WA
I'm definately not a supporter of any kind of band I think the sleeve is a far superior surgery and has far fewer problems than any of the bands have. As a rule once people start having any issues with the band it doesn't get better only worse. If you can get a sleeve I'd say go for it!
technofamily
on 12/16/11 11:23 am - upstate area, SC
Thank you Mell and Hislady,

I appreciate in your responses.  I think I am going to to have to think about this a little longer and maybe get a second opinion.  I am afraid of the sleeve so I'm going to research it so more.

Thanks again,
Miriam
Kim H.
on 12/16/11 10:09 pm - Duluth, MN
Good luck with whatever you decide. Please know we are here for you!

~Kim~

MARIA F.
on 1/21/12 11:21 am - Athens, GA

Go with the VSG. It's a much more effective procedure than either band!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Nic M
on 1/22/12 12:55 am
I wouldn't recommend either of them, personally, Miriam.

A band is a band is a band. The only real difference is the manufacturer...

Allergan vs Johnson and Johnson. 

Here's a link with the info about both.

http://www.wlshelp.com/lap-band-vs-realize-band.html

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active