I have been researching Gastric Bypass&Realize band and I had a couple of questions

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 12:55 am, edited 12/12/11 12:58 am - IL
 I had my surgeon consultation last week and I thought that i wanted gastric bypass but now I think I may want the realize band. My BMI is 54 and I am 5'3 318. My surgeon says he wouldnt put a band on someone my size with my BMI BUT I have been on youtube viewing the many WLS videos both gastric bypass and banding and I have seen many my size have the band. Can anyone tell me why you think my doctor stated that he wouldnt put a band on someone my size if in fact there are many who have the band and are my size? I would like to lose over 170lbs but is it for safety that I have gastric bypass because the band may be unsafe for my size or is it just my surgeon's opinion? I understand the basics of bypass and banding but ask if anyone could give me some advice and or information or experiences with being my size having the band. I would really appreciate it! Thank you in advance
Hislady
on 12/12/11 9:25 am - Vancouver, WA
Your surgeon is being honest with you. Yes there are a few, but very few, that have lost that much with a band but they are few and far between. The band is the least effective WLS and takes the longest to achieve any weight loss. I have had mine for 4 years and have had nothing but problems with it, too tight, too loose. It's very hard to get good restriction, you have to chew very carefully(in fact relearn to eat), then there are the stuck times when you feel like your chest will explode. I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to get a band and I truely regret I got one. Even my surgeon said at least 1/4 of their patients have serious problems that require revision. I would suggest the gastric sleeve if you don't want the malabsorbtion of the RNY, but even the RNY is far more effective than the band. Lots of surgeons are refusing to even do the band anymore!
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 12:48 pm - IL
 I want to thank you for being so kind and taking the time to respond to my question. You really seem quite honest in your response. May I ask if things are okay with you now? If the band becomes too troublesome do they suggest it should be removed or do they only revise to a bypass or sleeve? I was thinking about a sleeve but my insurance does not cover it yet. As a matter of fact, my doctor suggested that first but later found out my insurance does not cover it. Thanks again for responding! 
Hislady
on 12/13/11 9:48 am - Vancouver, WA
I'm doing OK now because I had my band emptied a few months ago. Fortunately I haven't gained much back so obviously it isn't a matter of how much I eat that is the problem. My problem is being unable to excersize because of several health issues, including bad lungs. I still have a little restriction, enough to keep me from eating too much so I appreciate that. I would like to revise to a sleeve but right now the insurance I have doesn't cover any weight loss surgery. I'm hoping in a few years when I get medicare age that I'll be able to revise but if not I'd rather be fat than deal with this band. I'll leave it in as long as I don't have problems with it. Don't know what I'd do if it does get bad because I'd have to self pay for removal. So I'm hoping that by keeping it empty it will reduce the chances of any serious damage.  Good luck on your surgery!
Vivian Prouty
on 12/12/11 8:42 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Good Morning,

I am sorry I didn't come back to the messageboards yesterday and see this.   I had RNY a little over 6 yrs. ago.   I personally  have not had any issues at all.    I do know some that have had problems but they STILL said that they would have had that surgery again if they had the cholice.   Have you tried to appeal your insurance co. decision for not covering the sleeve?    RNY is great...BUT if I were choosing a surgery today.....I would go with the sleeve.   You don't  have malabsorbtion issues.    I am glad that you came here and asked questions to people who had realize/lapband.    That being said.....ALL the WLS work.   It is just with lapband and realize band the higher your BMI...the less likely you will reach your goal weight.    Don't get me wrong now.   I am NOT putting this or any other WLS down because they all work.   It is just the higher the BMI is....the harder it is to loose and the longer it takes you.   My BMI was 50 before my RNY....it is still not normal but it is around 28-29.   SO much better.   At first before my WLS I was considering Lapband till my surgeon said it probably wouldn't work for me.     I lost all my weight in 11 months with RNY ( 140 lbs ).     And as the other poster said...it is very hard to get that "sweet spot" with the restriction with the band ( or so I am told ).
Good luck with your decision on choosing a surgery.     

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Kim H.
on 12/14/11 2:20 pm - Duluth, MN
Vivian, I love your new picture! You look AWESOME!!!!!

~Kim~

Vivian Prouty
on 12/14/11 9:23 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Thank you Kim.    I guess the "light" I was standing in didn't show my wrinkles on my face and lines.  LOL   Did you see....I am going to be a grandmother in late July or August.   I am SO excited.   Have a blessed day and so glad to see you online.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Kim H.
on 12/14/11 10:09 pm - Duluth, MN
Congratulations!! That is fantastic news!!!

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 12/13/11 12:08 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Iwillbebetter72,

Honestly I cannot say WHY your Doctor told you that, it could be many reasons. One reason may be your medical condition. They may realize that a band won’t get you the results you seek. Another reason, may be the Doctor’s ability and comfort level. Some Doctors specializes in one procedure and are not comfortable doing other procedures. Check OH for your Doctor’s “history". If you see they do more bypass then band, that could be the reason. If you see they do the same amount, then it may be medical.

All I know is I’m almost 4 years out and have lost over 200 pounds, and been very successful. I recommend the band to anyone, but I also warn that it takes work. It’s not a magic cure all.

Know all of the operations are successful and failures. Sometimes it has to do with the patient themselves (not obeying the rules, don’t know what type of eater they are); sometimes it’s the Doctor and their follow-up care; other times it’s the procedure itself.

I would suggest doing more research on your eating behavior and/or habits; your realistic goal; and the operation. If you know you’ll feel safer with a band, and know the work that’s needed to be successful, then I would stick with the band. Personally I rather “fail" on a procedure that I decided with then to fail on a procedure I was talked into, then always wonder “what if I did …."

Good luck, and know I am here if you need.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 12/14/11 2:18 pm - Duluth, MN
Thank you Tom for sticking up for those of us who have the Band! I understand that not everyone has good results but I think that goes for the other surgeries, too. I, too, tell people I would do my band again. I have not had a lot of problems. The problems I have had are my own issues, with not chewing well, or eating too fast. I have had to get an unfill because I could not eat anything without it getting stuck but that was cuz I was so close to my sweet spot(which I believe I have now "hit"!). I also agree on "failing" on one I decided to go with , not talked into.
Also, Iwillbebetter72, Tom is a wealth of information! You can count on him. Good luck to you,whatever you decide.

~Kim~

Most Active