5 months post op help

sukotsutsu
on 8/22/11 1:04 am
Hello everyone, Im writing to you after five months from having gastric banding. I havent lost any weight, but i realize its my own fault because i drink with each bite of food i eat.  does anyone have advice based on their experience with learning not to drink and to eat slower? 
Vivian Prouty
on 8/22/11 9:24 am - Fort Worth, TX
 First off....have you had a fill yet?    If not I would call my doctor and get one scheduled.    Second off....stop drinking and eating at the same time.    Seems you know what you are doing wrong by what you have said.    DO NOT put anything to drink by your plate when you eat and don't order anything to drink if you eat out.    Eat with a childs ( small ) spoon and fork to limit the size of your bites.    Lay your fork or spoon down between bites and count to 25 or 30 when you are chewing before you swallow.    Remember to wait 30 minutes after you eat to drink anything and do the same....no drinking 30 minutes before meals.    You can start losing again.   Also If you are NOT exercising or walking.....start doing that and I am sure your weight will start moving downward soon.   Good luck to you.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

sukotsutsu
on 8/22/11 9:33 am
 thanks Vivian. i have had two fills and i am around 5-6cc. my last fill wast the begining this  june.  i havent tried using a child's size utensil, so that is great advice.  i know about the other rules, but am having trouble controling my mind... like, i still cook two chicken breasts and more vegetables than i need. i need to focus on my thoughts.... i really appreciate your support! thanks. 

Vivian Prouty
on 8/22/11 9:44 am - Fort Worth, TX
 You are so welcome.   I figured you knew the rules but thought I would remind you.   Doesn't hurt for any of us to be reminded.   LOL   I still cook way too much food myself.   Seems like after almost 6 yrs. I would remember.   LOL  It's OK...if you cook too much.   It can always be frozen and used at a later date or lunch tomorrow.    Good luck to you on your continued journey.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Kim H.
on 8/23/11 12:12 pm - Duluth, MN
What Vivian said is exactly right on. I do use the small plates and the child size utensils. The not drinking at the same time is key. And exercise is essential!!! Good luck. We are here for you!

~Kim~

Hislady
on 8/22/11 2:31 pm - Vancouver, WA
The rules are there for a reason not just to torture us, when you drink you push the food thru and just hinder the band from working the way it is supposed to. You have to stop putting the fluid out with your meal! If it's not there you can't drink it. Only you can control this so get with it!
Tom C.
on 8/23/11 12:37 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

To expand on this, think of kid at the beach with a funnel. When they pour sand into the funnel, it takes time for the sand to go through the funnel. However if they pour the ocean water into the sand, the sand becomes so liquidly it passes through the funnel much quicker. We want to keep our “funnel" full for a long time. Liquids does this a disservice.

I know you didn’t ask for this, but here are some other rules to be successful

Over the years I have collected some common “rules" one should follow in order to be successful. So far I am up to 25+ “universal set of laws" one should heed during their journey.

I would love to see this list grow, so please feel free to add to it. Maybe one day this will be adopted as the Constitution of Gastric Success!! :D

(1) Get your daily Protein requirements in (60 – 80 grams – your Doctor/Nutritionist may have different target amount – so follow their recommendation). Protein requirements change over time (depending upon weight loss stage, amount of exercise, hospitalization, etc). Check with your Doctor/Nutritionist concerning your protein needs.

(2) Protein drinks should be: between 20 and 30 grams of protein per serving (25 is recommended), contain less than 150 calories (110 recommended) contain less than 10 grams of carbohydrates (5 is recommended) (your Doctor/Nutritionist may have different rules – so follow their recommendation).

(3) Remember eat: Protein first, then fiber (ex veggies/fruits) then (if there is room) good (NON-starchy) carbohydrates.

(4) Drink at least 64 ounces of non-carbonated/non-caffeinated liquid.

(5) No drinking while eating and/or 30 minutes before and/or after meals (your Doctor/Nutritionist may have different rules – so follow their recommendation)

(6) You must east to lose weight!! Yes I know this a strange concept but if you don’t, your body will go into “starvation mode" and “store all it can".

(7) Each meal should take at least 25 to 30 minutes to complete. Studies show it takes this long for your stomach to tell your brain it’s full – no matter how much food is in it.

(8) Eat at the same time everyday

(9) Eat until you are full, not stuffed

(10) Wait 30 to 60 seconds between putting another piece food in your mouth

(11) Make sure foods (especially meats) are moist

(12) Before you put that piece in your mouth, ask yourself “Would I give this size to a baby?"

(13) Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew- Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew- Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew- Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew- Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew- Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew (at least 30 times, or until it feels like baby food consistency)

(14) Take your vitamins !!

(15) Remember, during the operation they put the tool around your stomach, and not your brain. So, you will need to do some self control.

(16) Exercise – begin slow (example walk; climbing a flight of stairs; park in the furthest spot in the lot) and then gradually increase. My suggestion do two days; rest a day; do two days; rest a day; do two days

(17) If you feel like “snacking" do something else (ex. Go outside; call a (WLS) friend; come to the board and post, etc)

(18) Participate in a support group!!! It is a fact that those who attend supports groups have increased weight loss long term!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(19) ok .. a little gross and try to figure out what I am saying .. What you think may be a “GAS" may come out as a “Liquid" or “Solid" .. so BE CAREFUL and BE PREPARED !!

(20) Remember to speak to your Doctor/Nutritionist regularly. 

(21) Speak to your Psychiatrist/Psychologist at least twice a year, especially when the “honeymoon" stage is  over.

(22) Keep your surgeon appointments.

(23) At specified intervals, get your blood-work done. Check with your Doctor.

(24) Shop the perimeter of the supermarkets.

(25) If you can’t pronounce the ingredients – don’t buy it!!

(26) Know I am always here for you :D

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
April A.
on 8/24/11 1:47 am
going into surgery in 6 days, this was a great read.  I love  your tips for success.
sukotsutsu
on 8/24/11 8:00 am
 best wishes April! im excited for you!
sukotsutsu
on 8/24/11 8:02 am
 hey thanks for the list, that is great... but, what do you mean by #19.... i thought that only happened with gastric bypass and not banding patients... (?) 
Most Active