Pre-Op diet questions...

the3bubbasmom
on 7/6/11 6:24 am - AR

I am new to the boards. I am scheduled for realize band surgery on July 15th. I am on day 6 of my 2 week all liquid diet. I am wondering how long others were on this diet and was yours ALL LIQUID too? I'm finding many people are allowed to have chicken breast/salad/raw veggies. I am not allowed anything but liquids(grits,oatleal,pudding,jello,broth,cream soups, protein shakes). I AM MISERABLE! Not sure I can make it another 9 days. Please tell me this is the HARDEST part!w

Chelsea D.
on 7/6/11 7:47 am
Mine was for 10 days. All liquids except 1 chicken breast per day if NEEDED. However, the liquids I was allowed only included sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, protein shakes, broth, water and sugar free water flavorings like crystal light. So I gues be happy you get grits oatmeal and cream soups haha. It IS the hardest part...from what I've experienced so far. Just hang in there, it'll be worth it in the end!!
purple39lady
on 7/6/11 10:40 am
I was on liquids for breakfast  and lunch and could eat protein, chicken and a green veggie during my pre diet.  I ate lots of s/f popsicles and jello.  I also ate lots of s/f pudding and protein shakes.  I was miserable as well, but it is so worth it.  YOu will do fine.  You  don't have that much longer to go.  Hang in there.  Keep us informed on how you are doing. 
Amy B.
on 7/6/11 11:56 am
 It is definitely the hardest part. Actually Chelsea D. and I had the same surgeon and only 4 months apart, but we were at 2 different hospitals. I was not allowed the chicken. I was all liquid like you, but I did have some protein. I had tuna and shrimp. I wasn't supposed to, but I truly could have killed someone. I lost 12 lbs pre-surgery, so I guess it worked, but I am NOT recommending you do it. 15 days is a REALLY long time!
Tom C.
on 7/6/11 12:56 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Every Doctor/Nutritionist is different, and each has their own “pre-surgery" rules. Just know they do these things to get you in the “best shape" possible for the surgery. The reason most do this is to shrink the liver prior to the operation.

Good luck, and know the hardest part is almost over.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
the3bubbasmom
on 7/6/11 2:03 pm - AR
Thanks so much for the support! It helps to hear that this is the hardest part! I am GOING CRAZY at the moment and starving! I often wonder if I would be hurting my suregery with the liver shrinkage part if I ate a checken breast. It would be so wonderful to be allowed to chew something. I have not cheated and hope I can make it till the 15th without...but I just am not sure! How long were any of you on liquids after the surgery and will I feel a fullness quicker in the days after surgery since I still will not have had my first fill?

Tom C.
on 7/7/11 10:18 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

the3bubbasmom,

I hope I can convey properly what I am about to write. I don’t want it to read incorrectly or appear har****'s not meant to be.

Would eating a piece of chicken breast hurt your surgery? Probably not. However, you need stop and realize during this journey you will be required to adhere to certain guidelines in order to be successful. If you start your journey by taking detours early, what going to happen later on down the road?

I won’t say you should or shouldn’t, but what you need to ask yourself is “is it really worth it". And if so, will you be able to control yourself later? Only you know you, and how well you can control this.

Does liquids suck, YES!! But in the scheme of things, this is such a short period on this long road to success.

Good luck, and know we’re here for you.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Arkansastraveler
on 7/9/11 1:10 pm
I am only 2 days into mine.  Use your protein shake first, and slowly drink it. Then your nice warm cream soup. That will make you feel like you gorged on something. Then dismiss food from your mind and go scrapbook, dust, take a walk, do something to concentrate on. Oh, the fatfree, sugar free Jello chocolate pudding is to die for! Have that a time or 2 a day. Have SF gelatin Jello anytime you want. Remember, you are getting ready for surgery so you need to practice your 64 oz. of liquids and eat with no drinks for 30 minutes before and after your meals. Think, does that ____ food  taste better than it looks on my butt? Let's keep it together, and band together!! You can do it!!!
Most Active