Hair loss after surgery

Skye1
on 6/28/11 4:23 pm - MN
I had my realize band put on 8 months ago and am loving it! I've lost 76 pounds so far. My only problem is that I'm loosing a lot of hair when I shower or brush my hair. It is really bothering me. I talked to my surgeon and he suggested taking B12 and Bioten along with my calcium and multivits. It seems to be helping a little but I'm still freaked out. I eat tons of protein. Has anyone else had this problem? Will it slow down or stop eventually?
Stephanie M.
on 6/29/11 12:15 am
This is a normal response to any major surgery....I lost about half my hair and it is just now starting to come back in 13 months post-op....

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

kimkeever
on 6/29/11 12:40 am - AZ
I had my surgery on march 30th and im shedding alot of hair...I think mine is being caused by the weight loss and alot of stress here lately...I thought that it was odd...

Tom C.
on 6/29/11 8:43 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Hair loss is very common with bariatric surgery. Some has to do to the "trauma" the body has/is going through. The other reason is because we're not getting the proper nutrients. However after about 8 months to a year (maybe longer) when we begin to be on a more "normal" food intake and the body has healed, the hair begins to come back. Sometimes thicker.

Good luck, and know we're here for you
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active