Throwing up

brnsgr1
on 6/14/11 8:01 am - CA
Hi all,
I had my surgery in 09 and my band is filled to 8cc's. Occasionally, I don't really seem to have much of an appetite but I try to get my fluids in. But on days like today, I get nervous. I have thrown up three times since last night. I was able to get my breakfast to stay down but no lunch. This has happened before and I figured it was just the band adjusting itself from when I was able to eat a little too much. Do you have those kind of days? What seems to work best for you? Thanks.  

crystal M.
on 6/14/11 9:55 pm - Joliet, IL
I'm not sure what your surgeon told you but I was told throwing up is never normal.  Am I saying I have never thrown up...nope I have thrown up.  But it's as a direct result of not eating properly.  It happens once and I'm fine.  To throw up three times in such a short time is not normal. 

I have my days when I feel a bit tighter than usual but I can always eat.  I wouldn't keep my band so tight that I am barely able to keep food down.  That isn't healthy and this could eventually lead to a slipped band.  I would advise you to call your surgeon.  I know mine would insist I come in if I told him I was throwing up and barely able to eat meals...if at all.  I knew a person that kept her band too tight and she lost lots of weight but then her band slipped and couldn't be fixed.  She eventually lost her band.  I don't want to say this to scare you just to let you know it is not safe to keep your band too tight.  

Good luck 
Vivian Prouty
on 6/14/11 11:01 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 I am not a band patient but I have always heard that throwing up with the band can and does lead to band slippage.   PLEASE do as the reply above mine said and call your surgeon ASAP and have your band checked to make sure that everything is OK.   It will give you peace of mind and maybe they can help you with this problem you are having.    Please let us know what you found out.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Hislady
on 6/15/11 10:53 am - Vancouver, WA
I absolutely agree with the others, don't hesitate, immediately get in touch with your surgeon you could have a slip or who knows what else.Vomitting is never good with the band and to do it 3x in one day is for sure not a good sign. Please get it checked ASAP!
Most Active